What's new

DVD player not reading disk (1 Viewer)

brianSCH

Auditioning
There's a JVC DVD player up on Ebay for real cheap that says the player powers up, the TV says "disk loading", but the DVD player says "no disk". Not knowing much about DVD's but not afraid to tear into one, does anyone want to take a stab at possible problems. It says it looks cosmetically new on the outside so I have to assume it hasn't been dropped. It's the model I want and if someone thinks it could be a simple fix, I'll certainly give it a try!! Any help is appreciated, I know there's alot of knowledge out there tonight!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That's not a simple repair. The player probably needs a new laser pickup. Pass.

M.

brianSCH

Auditioning
Thanks Mike for the response. Any idea how much a laser pickup for a JVC XV-523GD would run??? Also any other brainstorm ideas out there???????????

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My Proscan DVD player had a problem for a while where half the discs you loaded ended up in the "no disc" message. It got to the point that it wouldn't read anything. I opened it up and swabbed the lens with an alcohol soaked cotton swab and it's good as new. :)

rin

Stunt Coordinator
While I would be wary of buying a defective player sight unseen on Ebay, I would not hesitate to buy another JVC player. While JVC might not have the build quality of a Denon or a Pioneer Elite, they do make a very good player for the money. I'm on my 2nd JVC-my first one(single-disc, progressive, DVD-A) went to my stepdad in a package deal when he bought my RPTV because he didn't have a progressive player. I then got a 7-disc progressive player with DVD-A to use with my new FPTV.
I'm not sure what "real cheap" is but I got the 7-disc JVC for $149 and I've seen the single disc for $99

rin

brianSCH

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies. By real cheap I mean the bid is $5 with shipping $15. Seems I can hardly go wring at that price. If it doesn't work out I plan on getting this model anyhow. In that case I'll at least have an extra remote and other "parts". Has anyone out there ever replaced a laser pickup??

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Buddy, why pay even $5 and another $15 for shipping for an item the owner already says is not working? Given how inexpensive decent new players are, go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks