dvd player not reading disc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Brooke, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

hi,
    can anybody help me with my player, the issue is that two or three of my discs do not work, the discs have been tested in another player,the player keeps on spinning the disc and makes clicking sounds, and then displays the message NO DISC![​IMG]
    even when the disc does work, it takes nearly a minute to load
    is the laser just dirty? or is this something more serious
    thanx in advance

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Tell us the player that's involved as well as the discs. Also tell us how long you've had the player and how often it gets used. Some discs present read-error problems with some players. But if the player is old and much-used...

3. Simon Brooke

the brand is a nu-tec(cheap, don't know if it is available in the US, as far as i know the player is only available in south africa), the dvd's in question are Delta Force and Keeping the Faith
    i have had the player for about a year and a half and use it about twice a week.
    i am thinking about getting rid of it as it is not a good machine, rather spend the money on a good samsung or sony model.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The probable fix (based on what I have seen anyway) is a code upgrade to the machine. I had problems with that on my current player (Toshiba 3108) when they started coming out with 2 disk DVD's like Alien and The Abyss. After the upgrade (free), I never had any trouble with any disks ever again.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That Nu-Tech device, though, should probably be put to pasture. Get a nice machine from one of the reputable manufacturers—Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Denon, Kenwood, etc., etc.—and I bet your problems will be eliminated!

6. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Did it EVER play those DVDs? If it did, and then stopped, you may consider opening the case and cleaning the optics with a cotton swap or something. Thats what happened to me several years ago and the player was fine after a cleaning.

7. Simon Brooke

that is exactly what happenned on Keeping the Faith DVD, it was working and then it was not.

the problem has been solved though by cleaning the inside with a cd cleaner and fluid, although the long term solution is to get rid of it, i could do with a good upgrade
    thanks for the help guys