DVD player not playing a DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aslam Imran, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Last night I popped in a new DVD into my DVD (Panasonic A120) and got a message 'NO PLAY' on the DVD display and a message 'this disc cannot be played' on my TV. This morning my 3yr old son pressed the open/close button on the DVD remote and when I pushed the button again and sent the DVD back into the player, the DVD started playing. I did this again but this time it wouldn't play again. I did this a few times and after a few tries it started playing again. I tried other DVDs but this happens only on this particular DVD.

My question is why does this happen on any DVD. If the player can't recognize the format (or something) that should happen everytime. Why does it happen sporadically? Could it be that my DVD player is dying? Is there some way of resetting a DVD player in case there is a problem?

So far the A120 has served me really well without any A/V dropouts or any of the other glitches. Its been running for the past three years without a single problem. Is it nearing the end of its life?

2. Cave Canem

Cave Canem Auditioning

I would guess that you have a bad DVD.

Take back, get new one, try again. If it still messes up it may be the DVD player is having a hard time reading the format or layering.

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

What disc is it?

4. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

The mummy returns

5. Matt_M

Matt_M Stunt Coordinator

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Dust inside the player can cause this.
    If a disk has a scratch in the wrong place it could work some of the time. Each time the disk is inserted it is not centered exactly exactly the same way relative to the fineness of the circular tracks of pits on its surface.
    Examine the disk for scratches. Also hold it up to a bright light and if you see pinpricks that turn into tiny black dots when you bring the disk down from the light, you should return that disk if it also has trouble playing.
    The pinprick test is difficult because if the movie is not too long, you need to determine whether the black hole is within or without the part of the disk the movie is occupying, but if the disk doesn't play, it is OK to blame it on a black hole you saw. CD's play from the inside out and I can usually tell where the music ends by looking at a change in texture on the disk surface.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

There is a good chance it's the player. I had a Panasonic A120 that began to show these symptoms. It got worse with time. When I finally gave up it MIGHT read the disc after a dozen or so times opening and closing the tray. Panasonic had optical pickup problems with many of their earlier players. In fact,I believe they settled a class action lawsuit regarding the A110 and other models.

Unfortunately, the A120 wasn't included. There is evidence that problems with the A120 are not uncommon. I did call their service people but they would not acknowledge any problems with it. I now have a JVC XV-S60.

Don't be surprised if this problem continues. But then again, it may just be the disc. Good luck.