What's new

DVD Player noise - help (1 Viewer)

crawfordfan

Auditioning
Real Name
mike o'regan
What the blazes is this noise?

Some points:
1 - It never occurs with...shall we say..commercially produced discs.
2 - The sound and vision playback are unaffected. In other words, while this noise is going on the film is completely watchable.
3 - It is often more intermittent than is evident from the video.
4 - If I open the drawer, reclose it and restart, it occasionally will stop the noise, but not always.
The problem is liveable with. It is just annoying, and my main concern is the possibility that it is doing long term damage to the player??
I'd appreciate any input.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
That sound is mechanical parts rubbing against one another. I suspect the arm which carries the disc-read-head is rubbing against something.
In other words, the player is starting to fail. It might be something that's easy to fix, or not. If the drive is still in warranty, you should be able to get it fixed for the price of shipping it to a repair center. Otherwise, it's time to start thinking about getting a new player, since reasonably good Sony and Panasonic players are available for about $100 and labor costs to do the repair would be more than that.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mechanical parts wear out and eventually fail. Unless it's an extremely new player, it's probably going to fail completely and possibly is damaging discs you play in it now.
Might be time to just toss it and go for a new one. Some things aren't worth the money or effort to repair. I have the first DVD player I ever bought and it's 14 years old, but works flawlessly. However, if it began to fail, out it goes and in comes a new one.
Why the problem doesn't happen on commercially made discs and only on "other" ones is strange. Maybe they were more poorly made and the machine is having trouble reading them and is trying several times to get a good "read" before playback. Or maybe they're not quite up to DVD standards.
I remember buying a commercial disc several years ago that was DVD on one side, CD on the other. Caused nothing but problems, actually wouldn't even eject from my car's CD player, had to use needle nose pliers to pull it out. It was just a tiny bit thicker than a regular CD, but that's all it takes.

crawfordfan

Auditioning
Real Name
mike o'regan
This player is only 8 weeks old and this problem was evident from the first day on certain discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks