Dvd Player Needed!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JohnGan, Apr 10, 2004.

1. JohnGan

JohnGan Auditioning

I'm looking for a reasonablly priced DVD player($200) that I can rely on. I've been searching and either find that they break down after one year(Panasonic) or they show horrible artifacts(JVC). Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm not a huge audiophile but would still like to be sure I'm getting the biggest bang for my buck. Thanks in advance!

2. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

John dude,

We need more information. What is the type of display you have and image dimensions. Do you need progressive scan? Do you also want to play audio cds and dvds? Finally, do you think the Green Party is making a mistake shunning Ralph Nader in the upcoming presidential election?

Dude,

Chester

3. JohnGan

JohnGan Auditioning

Chester,
    Sorry for the vague info -I was in a hurry. What I'm working with is a 27" Sony Wega, Onkyo TXSR501 receiver, and HomeTheaterDirect Level I speakers. I've got a small apartment and would like to add the best DVD player I can for my money(approx $200). I'd like a progressive scan(unless it just makes better sense to go with an interlaced) player in the event I someday get an HD set(I won the Sony which was nice), other than that I'd look for single disc; video formats SVCD/DVD-RW/VCD/DVD-R; audio formats MP3/CD-RW/CD-R CD; audio outputs OPTICAL/COAX; video outputs S-VIDEO/COMPONENT. Hopefully this is enough info to get some ideas. Thanks for the help!

John

4. Chester II

5. Chester II

Dude,

Hey...it looks like this player supports 6 channel DVD-Audio AND SACD........BONUS

Dude,

Chester

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You can grab a Denon DVD-1200 refurb from ecost for just over $200. That has DVD-Audio and DCDi by Faroudja for excellent picture quality.

IF you're looking at the 563 by Pioneer, find the *MASSIVE* thread about it here....hundreds and hundreds of posts, lots of good reading.

If you're not crazy about SACD, that Denon is a safe bet, and it's a current model from an authorized Denon dealer.

7. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

As many people here, I own the 563a. There is NO QUESTION that it's a huge improvement over my 'old' p-scan samsung p231. But, I got it for the universal a/v player features. However, I understand that getting a hold of a new Denon 210 for around 200-210 isn't tough, and it's got a much more advanced de-interlacing chip that the 563a. Seeing as how you're not HD yet, this may or maynot matter. BTW, when you have the ability to watch a good p-scan DVD player, you'll be blown away!
    Happy hunting.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

One could argue that the Denon also has better DACs and better interlace performance as well...and well, the 563 is only available in silver. There's lots of comparison points that can be made between the two players.

9. JohnGan

JohnGan Auditioning

Thanks for all the opinions guys! You've been a great deal of help. I've decided to go with the Pioneer 563A. Found it for around $150 including shipping. One last question while I still have your attention. Cables, I don't have HD but have component input -is it worth it or should I go with S-Video? Where to buy and who has the best product/service? Thanks again.

John

10. Chester II

John Dude,

I wouldn't bother if the dvd player already is packaged with an s-video cable. If that's not the case then a mid-level set of cables from your local audio/video store/chain will be a bit of overkill now, and acceptable when you upgrade in the future. Don't feel any pressure to buy anything costing over $30 since that's already 20 percent of the price of the dvd player.....

Enjoy dude,

Chester