DVD player needed for Toshiba 57HDX82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by elMalloc, Oct 6, 2002.

1. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Hello,
    I need to replace my pioneer DV333 interlaced DVD player. I'm planning on getting a Toshiba 57H82 or HDX82 if I can find any store that carries it (ugh, why is it so hard to find?). I am also considering the Sony WS500 but I need to be more impressed with its handling of cable signals before I ditch the Toshiba for it.
    I've seen my dvd player go for $150-200 on ebay and I don't know why. Regardless, what type of DVD player is best with the Toshiba HDX series, Progressive or interlaced? Any recommendations of DVD players?
    Price limit is $250-300. Single disc is all I need...best picture for the budget is what I want. I need optical audio out, coaxial I've had trouble with before.
    Thanks for recommendations,
    ELmO[​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There are lots of nice prog-scan players in that price range. Sony 755 ... Tosh 3800 ... more. It kind of boils down to which player possesses the feature set that best meets your needs.

And here's a piece of advice many here might take exception with: I believe the chroma-upsampling errors that get talked about a lot are not that big a deal. Do listen to those who are put off by the so-called "chroma bug," though. You might be one of those for whom the issue is serious.

3. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I've read a bit about the "Chroma bug". When I talked to a sales man at circuit city, he mocked me about the "chromo bug", saying he will tell his customres not to buy those DVD players which have it. (He didn't have a clue what the chroma bug was).
    Regardless, I've read people are happy with the Panny rp56 (and I thikn the 62 is its new cousin?), and that's in my price range. I think I'd like one that can do DVD Audio too though, since it will be in the family room. I wonder if DVDA will catch on? Well at least some nice classical music would be nice.
    -ELmO[​IMG]