dvd player low audio level

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil_O, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony DVP S360 DVD player and its sound output level during movies seems a little low. It plays a few dB louder it seems when I play music CDs on it, and I when I watch a movie on my Sanyo VCR it is at a louder level too. So it couldn't be the receiver doing it... Anybody else with the same player with same problem?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Phil, I have the same player and I'd say what you are experiencing is pretty normal. I too have to boost the volume for this particular source.

3. Trebor Pyn

Trebor Pyn Auditioning

i read some where that DVDs are the correct sound level and that most other signals are in reality to high and cause disstortion

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It's due to issues involving dynamic range: DVD audio tracks have wide dynamic range, meaning that the dB range from near silence to peak SPL can be alarmingly stark. If one is tempted to turn up the volume levels during quiet film passages, his or her tweeters are first in line to pay the price, so to speak.

So, at first, a DVD may seem unusually quiet compared to, say, the ambient noise level of a CD.