What's new

DVD player is slowly dying. (1 Viewer)

I bought a Pioneer DV-525 a little over 2 years ago. It doubles as my cd and dvd player. Over the past several months it has been getting very picky about what cds it will play. It seems like most of my cdr's require me to cycle the transport several times for it to read. Original cds are not as big a problem but it still won't read them on the first time occasionally. Dvds are no problem. This seems to be random, no corelation with disc condition. Sometimes it plays a scratched up disk the first time. I bought a brand new chemical bros cd last week and it wouldn't read it until the 5th or sixth time I ejected and reinserted. I've used a laser lens cleaner at least once every couple months since I purchased it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening ? Is there anything preventative I can do ? Can this problem be fixed inexpensively ? Should I start saving for a new one ? Thanks in advance.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't put much faith in those lense cleaners.

So, it sounds as if this player gets a lot of use. About how many hours per week, do you think?

Given how inexpensive DVD players have become, while getting better in the process, a new player should not be so daunting a prospect. And that's what I'd be thinking about now.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Some Sonys have a laser alignment function in their service menu. You might want to do some hunting and see if your Pioneer has the same thing. Its supposed to help clear up problems like this.

Jimmie Lee

Grip
Michael,

I have a three year old Pioneer DV-05 player that has been showing the same symptoms as you describe. Although I don't have any answer to the problem, perhaps this is a Pioneer issue. Does anyone else have a Pioneer player that randomly rejects disks?

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Pioneer DV525 since 1999.Its still holding out
perfectly maybe because its strictly a DVD player for me.
I have a separate CD player thus reducing its workload.
Well sometimes it boils down to luck.If you are lucky the
machine will last. :)

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same problem with my Pioneer DV-05. It will play DVD's fine, but some CD's won't play. I've only noticed it recently. At first I thought it might be because the first CD's I tried that exibited the problem were Japanese and Korean imports. Since they were recent CD's I also thought they might be some of the new copy protected CD's I've been hearing about. I've since pretty much ruled out those possibilities though and now realize that my player is probably just slowely dieing. I'm pretty mad about this actually since I honestly don't use my DVD player much, and certainly not much recently. It has certainly made me rethink buying another Pioneer player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks