DVD player is hot ! Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AnitaPeterson, Feb 21, 2003.

1. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Stunt Coordinator

Hi there,

I've just experienced something really strange.

I bought "The Puppet Masters" DVD today, and when I came home I turned my DVD player on and watched the movie. It's less than two hours long.

Anyway, when I took the disc out from the tray, it was really warm, and I'd venture to guess (based on what the thermometer seems to indicate) that the entire machine is about 50-55 degrees Celsius (that's 120-130 Fahrenheit, for those who use it). Not hot to touch to the point that you can't keep your hand on it, but VERY warm.

Is this normal?

It's a new player - Panasonic RP-82 - , so I don't know if this is supposed to be normal. What do you people think?

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    DVDs and players do tend to get quite warm; my first player got very hot indeed but worked happily for years. I imagine newer slimline models like the RP82 would get quite warm to the touch due to their size.

Does the player have adequate ventilation room above/around it (a couple of inches)? If it doesn't have room to breathe it may be overheating.

Adam

3. Gates

Gates Auditioning

I think maybe this is normal. I just bought a Panasonic RP-82 a few weeks ago, and the first time I took a disc out, it was noticeably warm. I was a little surprised by this as my previous player, a Panasonic RV-32K, never seemed to get warm. It certainly wasn't warm to the touch, and I never noticed the discs being warm when I removed them.

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

My older Sony player as well as my RP82 warms up the discs quite a bit. Noticeably hot but no so as you would want to drop it. Same as what you posted.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Same thing with my Panasonic-based Yamaha DVD-S700. The top panel gets pretty warm to the touch, and the discs come out all “nice and toasty,” too. I’ve always kind of worried about it; good to find out its relatively normal.

I have to wonder, sometimes you see posts from people claiming their DVD players are doing strange things. I wonder if they have equipment on top of it or something else causing it to overheat.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt