What's new

DVD Player into VCR into TV (1 Viewer)

Gunnar

Auditioning
Right now my setup has my cable going into the VCR with the VCR being the channel changer. The audio out from the VCR going to the Reciever and the video out going to the TV. My setup is 6 years old so all my products that were once top of the line are now out of date. I am wondering is the progressive scan going to be useless when I go from the DVD player audio/video out to the VCR audio/video input and having the VCR take the DVD player signal and send it to the TV. Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You're probably not going to be able to run dvd to vcr at all........
The copy protection chip in the vcr will detect it and cause your video to get brighter and dimmer, brighter and dimmer, brighter and dimmer..............or make the video go jagged all of a sudden or could cause video and/or audio dropouts.
If you don't have inputs on the tv (red, white and yellow composite or S-video with L/R audio), you will need an RF modulator for the dvd player (about $20). If you do have inputs, but only one set, you may need an A-B switch, to hook up more than one piece of equipment. Good luck!

Tim K

Second Unit
also, unless you have an HDTV (or EDTV) progressive scan is useless anyway. Only HD and ED TV's can accept a 480p signal. Plus, don't run a DVD player through a VCR...most times due to macrovision it won't work (as mentioned above). If you don't have enough inputs on your TV, invest in a video switcher. They are inexpensive and can be found at any radioshack.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to hook up component video (3 RCA) or DVI, to get progressive. This is not very common on VCRs. As noted, if your TV is not HD ready, it will not be able to display the picture anyway.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The only thing I will add is that SOME BRANDS & MODELS of VCR's will let you run the DVD Video into them & then pass the Video though to the TV without the Marcovision kicking in but the Macrovision will kick in as soon as you press the record button on the VCR. We could probably help you more if you told us exactly what kind of Inputs & Outputs your TV, Receiver & VCR has & exactly what your trying to do.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Try it with several DVD's before going out and buying the RF modulator. Your VCR might be one of the few (about 10% of all manufactured) whose circuits don't jam up or lose sync. when video from a DVD with Macrovision (about 90% of all pressed) is fed in.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks