What's new

DVD player image (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm having kind of a wierd thing going on with my Toshiba 2150 DVD player. I'm using composite inputs to connect it to my Sony Trintron. The problem is that on certain DVD's I'll often see jagged lines running through what should be a straight line (ie. stair rails) and other times on scenes where a bunch of lines are evenly spaced together (ie. a picket fence) I see what looks like a rainbow that is made primarily or reds and whites, this same phonomena often occurs on the end movie credits or sometimes on subtitles. These two "artifacts" are very annoying. What could be causing them? I've tried toning down the sharpness setting but that doesn't work. Any ideas? thanks.
-Keith-

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Keith, the first artifact you describe sounds like it's either a product of the dvd player's down conversion of the anamorphic dvd to 4:3 letterbox or it is simply an artifact of the 480i - interlaced signal. Without seeing it first hand, I can only guess. The second effect you describe, I believe, I can pinpoint fairly accurately. You're seeing the "rainbow swirl" affect. This is an artifact caused by the tv's comb filter as it attempts to separate the luminance and color information within the video signal. If your tv has an Svideo or component video inputs, switching to these will/should eliminate this artifact since the color and luminance are already separate before they reach the tv. You'll notice a definite improvement in picture quality when going from composite to Svideo/component inputs, I suspect. Finally, you may still see artifacts on close together vertical/horizontal lines, especially when the camera pans across them (a picket fence in the distance, a brick wall, window blinds, etc.) - this will look like a wavy effect but there will be no color distortion. It looks like a flickering of the image essentially. This is also a byproduct of the interlaced signal.
hope this helps,
--tom

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
thanks that helps alot. I suspected it could be my connection to the TV as well as possible 4:3 downconversion but I wanted to check with everyone here at HTF to see if that was a possibility. Unfortunately I will not be getting a new T.V for the next 3 years but when I do I'm definently getting myself a 16:9 HD T.V.In the meantime though my current Trinitron only supports composite
frown.gif
that sucks (nice T.V though.) Thanks for the info and quick response.
-Keith-
[Edited last by Keith_R on August 02, 2001 at 10:49 PM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Kieth, hello again, we really need to stop meeting like this!
wink.gif

The problems your describing are very common. As stated above, the first problem is most definatly a downconversion of the anamorphic image type of problem, I call it the "stepping" effect, and in your case, their is no way of eliminating this effect aside from getting a 16x9 monitor, or a 4x3 that has an anamorphic option like the Sony Wega's have.
The second problem is defininatly "chroma noise". I cannot suggest stronger the use of an s-video input on your monitor, it will get rid of all the chroma noise and leave you with a clean, color accurate picture, and will also eliminate what's called "dot crawl" as well. To really see dvd sparkle, upgrade your monitor as soon as you can. And if a 16x9 is out of your budget, I strongly recommend a Sony Wega, the 16x9 option on them make dvd TRULY sing!
Of course, if you had the red, green, and blue component input on your monitor, use that instead of s-video. In fact, I would seek out a set with this input. It's not a huge improvment over s-video, but at least from a psychological standpoint, you'll know your using the very best connection available to you. Note that your player must have the component output in order to hook it up in this manner. If not, go for a monitor with at least an s-video hookup and an anamorphic option, believe me, it'll make your dvd's shine as you never thought possible!
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!
[Edited last by John Williamson on August 03, 2001 at 12:21 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on August 03, 2001 at 12:27 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on August 03, 2001 at 12:32 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on August 03, 2001 at 12:37 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks