DVD player: HDMI question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Cam T., Oct 23, 2004.

1. Cam T.

Cam T. Auditioning

Hi,

I'm not sure if this issue has been raised already, but I'll ask anyways: With the current HDMI DVD players, is the optical sound output bypassed when the HDMI cable is used?? (since it carries audio and video signal)

I'm getting a front projector with HDMI input (no DVI) and obviously don't require the audio signal to this unit. However, if I use an HDMI output for a DVD player, will I still be able to get an audio signal to my receiver?? Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Cam

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

There are no receivers that have HDMI inputs yet. I believe Marantz sometime this year will have an HDMI input and output. I don't believe it can be passed through the projector as a digital bitsream then and then convert the signal to analog to the receiver.

3. AxelKro

AxelKro Stunt Coordinator

Hi Cam,

in my Denon 2910's Manual it's saying I need to set the HDMI to "2-Channel" Audio Mode. Then, the analog 5.1 Audio connection to the receiver is kept alive.

4. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Will we be able to go HDMI (video only) into the TV. Then take Optical Audio from the DVD player to the reciever?

5. Octavio

Octavio Stunt Coordinator

Chris: of course you can go HDMI into the TV and take Optical Audio from the DVD player to the reciever. And if you like you can go HDMI from DVD to TV, and then optical from TV to receiver. Either way audio signals go digital all the way to the receiver and are decoded there.