DVD Player Function Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Mar 23, 2003.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Anybody know if it's harmful to a DVD Player if you never (or rarely) utilize the "STOP" button? That is, in lieu of hitting "STOP", you hit "OPEN/CLOSE" each time you want to stop & eject a disc?

Will some built-up damage to the laser within occur if you go straight from PLAY to EJECT?

I also tend to never use the POWER button to turn on the player (since hitting "OPEN/CLOSE" activates the power on my unit). Are all (or nearly all) players like this, with OPEN serving as an auxiliary ON button?

Thanks.

2. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    I personally don't use Open/Close to turn my DVD player on ALL the time, just a few times here and there, but I still feel it should NOT cause any problems in the short or long term.
    I've owned dozens of DVD players over the years and most, if not all, clearly state in the manual (usually) that if the Open/Close button is pressed the player will power up (and the tray will open) without you having to press the power button. Remember, most DVD players and most electronic equipment in general, stay in a Standby State when "OFF" and still draw a little voltage so there is no reason why the Open/Close button can't be your new Power Button.
    Furthermore, press Open/Close to remove a DVD player without press Stop shouldn't change anything either. The player still goes throught the same process before the tray is opened in actually stopping disc playback.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Anything controlled electronically shouldn't cause any damage- I had a cassette deck a long time ago though that had the buttons connected directly to the mechanisms- for example, pushing down on the Play button brought the heads up- hitting Eject while a tape was playing would make it try to eject the tape while still playing (an electronically-controlled one would put it in Stop mode first before trying to eject.)

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thanks.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I've been using the eject to power up and open the transport for at least two years now. No problems.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Jeese is right, it would be a poorly designed player indeed if hitting eject did not shut things down in their proper sequence first.