DVD player for up to $400

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty M, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I am getting ready to upgrade my Sony S-300 DVD player and want some suggestions for a player that would cost around $400. I have looked at the Sony 650V, JVC 95, and Toshiba 4700. I want to upgrade to a DVD Audio or SACD player and possibly one with progressive scan to get ready for the future when I can afford a HD TV. Any comments on any of these or any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Panasonic RP91. hands down the best in this range.
    i got mine from www.jandr.com for $440 shipped with 2 DVDs. i dont think they'll give this offer out again (i'm good on the phone [​IMG]), but you can get the player for ~$419 + shipping. thats your best bet IMO.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Squeeze a few more pennies from your pockets and sofa and go with the Panasonic RP-91 that was suggested.

4. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Another vote for the Panasonic. I've had a Sony, two Toshibas & two Pioneers. The Panny is the hands down best dvd player I've used. Not only do I get a subperb picture (brilliant colors!), but DVD-A as well.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure my budget can handle the price of the Panasonic RP 91, unless I can get the same deal Thomas got. Any other opinions on the other players on my short list?

6. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

Quite a few people on this and other forums are choosing the new JVC DVD players over the Panasonics. They have the scaling feature like the Panasonics and come a bit cheaper, too. They have received good professional reviews as well. Just another option for you to consider...

7. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Thanks for your input Mike. I have been thinking of the JVC since it is more in my price range. I was just wondering how well it compared to the Panasonic.