DVD player for Tosh 51H83 4080 i or 480P

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JamieS, Jan 27, 2004.

1. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I have done a lot of reading and some testing and it appears that the best picture quality with my 51h83 TV though component inputs actually comes from sending a 480 i signal to the TV and allowing the TV to upconvert to 1080i. I am still alittle fuzzy on how this conversion works but I gather it has something to do with 480 to 540 vs 4080 to 1080 conversion.

I am currently using a Toshiba SD4800 and plan to change DVDs soon.

If this is the best picture quality then are their players (not too expensive) that are better outputting a 480i image? I am aware of the most poular low price modles Denon 1600 and 910 XP 30, 50 RP 82 and Mitsubiushi (can't remeber modle. But I always read about PROGRESSIVE SCAN PICTURE. Would these plyer give the best image progressive or interlaced or are there players that are better at a 480i image than these players?

I also have a DVI input so would I be better to wait for a player that outputs 1080i (I know the DVD is still only 480 but maybe the conversion in the DVD would be better??

My budget will be prbably $500 canadian or less. I don't need to move TOO fast but I want to get the best PQ I can with my TV. It still doesn't make sense that an interlaced picture would actually look BETTER than a progressive but I need to be realistic and go with what looks best not what specs say SHOULD be best.

2. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

bump

3. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

You are right in keeping/looking for a player that does 480i on the Toshiba (since the Toshiba will upconvert to 540p). The basic reason a 480p picture looks a little worse is that it's "upconverted" twice ..once from 480i to 480p the again in the TV to 540p. Look for a good interlaced player, or select the ones you mentioned and don't select "progressive" output. I believe any of the players mentioned, and a calibrated TV, would give you a very good picture.

I can't speak about the DVI input giving a better picture. I also have a 46H83, but nothing with DVI out. This TV is not in my main viewing area and I'm not in a hurry to purchase a new DVD player for it. I'm looking to purchase the Sony 777ES 400 disc player for my main viewing area and move the older player to this TV.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Yup, I'll agree that 480i input looks better on the Toshiba. Not only do you get a sharper image, but also automatic aspect ratio selection, which is a very decent feature.

What you want is a DVD player with a very flat luminance response curve right across the active frequency range. The Panasonic players fit this bill. They don't have particularly good progressive scan conversion, but they do have very clean video output.

As to why the '83 Toshibas look better with an interlaced signal in the fist place is a matter of speculation, but I believe that when you feed it a 480p signal, it converts that to 540p, then line doubles the image to 1080i. But when it receives a 480i input, it scales that to 1080i via interpolation instead of line doubling. Like I said though, this is just speculation.

5. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

What do you mean by the "Panasonic players"? Are you only refering to the RP82 and Xp 30/50 or do some of the newer inexpensive players output a 480I signal that matches with the H83 1080i input?

I really don't have much hope of getting one of the RP82, Xp or Denon 1600 players without a great deal of $ and pain here in Nova Scotia. What would be a good player to macth with this set or should I wait on some the new players? If so what looks good that is coming up?

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I had posted a similar topic the other day, in which I had a concern about TV's upconverting and wether this would hurt or benefit your DVD players performance. Since you have a unit that takes a 480i/480p signal and upconverts it to 540p I had asked if there was some sort of a "double progressive scanning" going on. Some guys had mentioned that your set should shut down it's internal scanning and let the DVD player do its job once it recognizes the progressive signal being fed. I have a TV that upconverts everything to 1080i that I feel does a great job. So, the first thing some posters are going to say is that your DVD player has a poor de-interlacer and you should get a Faroudja and that the reason why your 480i looks better is because you don't have a high end chip in your DVD player. I tend do disagree. Newer model HDTV's do a great job in taking an interlaced signal and making an APEX look decent !!. If I were you stick with your player until some better DVI units come down the line.

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

JamieS, just any of the current units is just fine. The older models you mentioned are noted for the exceptional progressive scan conversion, but since you're feeding the TV a 480i signal, you aren't using progressive scan conversion at all.

A Faroudja etc. chip does not change the quality of the video output! It improves the quality of the progressive scan conversion. You can most certainly have a DVD player with a Faroudja chip and absolutely horrible progressive scan video output quality as the two are not directly related.