What's new

DVD player for Sony KD-XBR960 (1 Viewer)

Juan.F

Grip
I recently purchased a Sony KD-XBR960 set. I’ve just moved to a new apartment, so I have not been able to get cable yet to see what the set can do with HD programming. I hear it’s pretty impressive.

I mostly use my TV for DVD watching and playing Videogames. Upon connecting my DVD player to the tv, I was not initially very impressed with the picture quality. I popped in my Avia calibration disc and did notice a HUGE improvement. However, I still think that the picture can be sharper and more vibrant. So, I’m thinking it’s just the limitations of my dvd player. I have a really old Toshiba player (sorry, don’t know the model), which I’ve probably had for about six years now. Non Progressive scan. I have it hooked up with component cables. My problem is that on most discs, I tend to get a bit of a digitized shimmering effect in the background. After tweaking the set, it has gone down considerably and is almost non existent on discs like Finding Nemo and Episode II. But it’s still there if I look for it. I’m wondering if it’s time to get a new player, since I’m using one from 1998 or 1999. Will a new player drastically improve my picture quality? If so, can anyone recommend one for this tv in the < $200 price range? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

Juan.F

Grip
Thanks Arthur. Do you think I'll see a significant jump in picture quality? I just want to be sure that the problems I am seeing is a result of the older player and not a problem with the tv. X-Box games look incredible sharp on it, so I'm guessing it's the player.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Juan

I have no idea why you are having that problem so I can't say if any new DVD player will solve it. But if you try a new DVD player you will find out real quick. I think Best Buy or CC (or both) have the 80V. If you buy from them and it doesn't solve the problem and you don't want to keep the 80V, return it and get with Sony to try to find out what the problem is. Perhaps there is something with the TV.

Juan.F

Grip
Ok, thanks again Arthur. And thanks Shane. I live less than a block from a Best Buy. I might swing by tonight and check out the 80v.

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to look at the Panasonic S-77. I have the Sony KD-36XS955. I upgraded from my 6-7 year old Tosh SD-2109 to the Panny and it's awsome. It has the HDMI output and upconverts to 1080i. It's a little hard to find. I got mine from Fry's.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Being that you have an XBR, I would wait six months and have it ISF calibrated. Gregg did my XBR a year or so ago and it made a huge difference, even after I calibrated myself using the Avia.

Juan.F

Grip
Thanks for the input Tom and Gary. So, Gary, are you saying that if I wait and have my tv calibrated professionally I wouldn't need to buy a new DVD player at all?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Juan

Why are you messing around about bringing home a new DVD player? First things first. Swing by Best Buy and pick up a new DVD player. You will find out immediately if that is your problem. If a new DVD player solves your issue, keep it. If it doesn't solve the problem you can take it back to BB within 30 days.

Calibration is an entirely different issue and will likely have no effect on the digitized shimmering effect in the background using DVD, since you don't have this problem with OTA TV broadcasts.

Calibration is something you can have done later on if you feel the need after getting to the bottom of your digitized shimmering effect problem on DVD.

You seem stuck. Please do something about a new DVD player. Unlike calibration, you can take the DVD player back.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

Not necessarily, but it will improve your overall picture significantly. Since you spent good amount of money on your XBR, you should have it calibrated to bring out its best. It's something that can't be achieved by simply using Avia.

I would also do as Arthur suggested, as it is a quick way to check if your DVD may be the culprit of your particular complaint.

Juan.F

Grip
Thanks.

Well, to answer your question Arthur, yeah, I know I've been reluctant to just purchase a new player to test it out. But, since I just bought a new apartment, not to mention the new TV, my fiancé isn't very fond of the idea of purchasing more equipment. I just wanted to be sure it would improve our dvd watching experience since I can convince her to bear with a bit more expense to enhance the home theater atmosphere.

For some reson I didn't think Best Buy would take back an open item for a refund if there wasn't anything wrong with it. If they do, you're right, I'll just take the plunge and see what happens. Thanks for putting up with me fellas, you've all been very helpful.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
BB and CC are very liberal about returns. If you were to buy the Sony 80V and it didn't solve your problem, you could simply say it didn't meet your needs and what you really need is something you can't afford right now. As long as you don't abuse it in any way and keep all the boxes, paperwork and everything else, they will give you a refund. Now, if you are really not in a position to spend the $150 for the 80V right now, you might just wait a month or 2 till you can part with $150.

There is no way to avoid bringing home a new DVD player. Even if you have to return it, you will find out if it is the player causing your problem. They won't bite your head off about returning a $150 product. People return $8,000 plasma TVs. So, swing by BB and pick up that 80V.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Gotta agree here. To get that set looking its best, you need a progressive player, even an average one. When I brought home my 510, I was using it with an old interlaced player and while it looked pretty decent, it was still a noticable improvement when I fired up a decent progressive player on it (Denon 2200). If you can't afford it right now, wait until you can.

Juan.F

Grip
I bought the 80v last night and checked it out. It looked crisp, however, the image was noticable darker, so I will be calibrating this player using the Avia disc over the weekend. I'll keep you posted if I see a nice noticable difference. So far, while the image was a bit dark, the colors looked very, very crisp. I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help! :D

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Very good Juan. After you get the brightness set right, let us know if the new DVD player cured the original digitized shimmering effect problem you were having with DVD.

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
Would you fellas know if the Sony 80V has the ability to play songs randomly among the 5 cds?

Also, I have a dualdisc that has the music in 5.1 on the DVD side. How does it handle DualDiscs?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks