DVD player for Sony 34XBR960

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Burklund, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

Just bought the 34" widescreen XBR HDTV.
    I want to get a new DVD player (the one I have is 5 years old). I want a DVD player that will give the best picture/resolution .....or at least better than a standard DVD player. Is this possible? What about cable from the TV to the DVD player?? ....Can I improve the picture with a better cable?

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

My vote goes to Denon...they have some excellent DVD players...you should see if you can scoop up one of the outgoing models for a good price...eCost.com also has refurbs (Denon authorized dealer) for excellent prices. You'll get excellent picture quality out of those players.

Actually, depending on what your budget is, you should look at one of the new Denon players with DVI out since your TV has that connection. That would give you the best picture.

As for cabling...well...I don't know if it makes much of a difference for DVI really...no experience here, perhaps someone else can chime in. I believe the same general rule applies though...whatever cable you buy, make sure it's well built and shielded.

3. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Denon 5900, Denon 3910, 2910, Pioneer 59avi.

4. Chris_T

Chris_T Stunt Coordinator

Burklund,

I read over at avsforum that xbr tv's and denon dvd players might have some compatibility issues. Someone in the 34xbr960 post (page 56) mentioned a "Denon 910 Sony flicker" problem. This has to do with flickers and jumps in the video in progressive mode when Denon 910 dvd players are connected to xbr tv's via component cables. You might want to investigate this further to see if this problem is widespread or isolated. Hope this helps.

Chris

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Only the 910 causes the problem, AFAIK, and it is ALL models of recent Sony TVs, not just the XBRs. I returned the 910 (which had this problem with my 34HS510) for a 2200 and there is no issue. A friend has this same TV (960) with a 2900 and no problem either. I would highly recommend the 2900 also, but only because I have not had a chance to look at the 3910.

6. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Sony DVP-NS725P from CC for $120. It doesnt have the DVI, but has the green,blue,red component jacks.
    The picture is really nice with a DVD!! Its ashame that their arent more HDTV channels available. The regular channels really look like crap on the TV.