DVD Player for Mits Diamond Series

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SteveNixon, Jan 5, 2005.

1. SteveNixon

SteveNixon Extra

Hey all, just ordered a WS65-813 from Tweeter (great deal at 2,999) and am looking for a good DVD player for low dollars (if it exists)...the Tweeter salesman was trying to sell me a Sony NS975V...any opinions? How important is it to match your TV to a specific DVD player?

Thanks all!

2. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Steve,

Since the Mitsu has a native 480p resolution, look for a Denon 2200. Last I heard some Tweeter stores still had some lying around. I think their price on them was around $300 (the player originally sold for over $600). The 2200 will give you an outstanding 480p signal.

Most of the new upconverting DVD players have their fair share of problems. While I think upconversion has its benefits, I think staying in the 480p realm is your best bet with the CRT Mitsu.

Good luck!

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

A 480P Player for your Mits is the best bet. The difference in an upconversion player was minimal at best for my Mits.

A Denon 2200 would be nice. If not then you are either looking at new(the new Sony is reportedly good the 975) or you could go looking around on ebay for a Panasonic XP30/XP50 which was a great player. If you want brand new, then the 975 is the player I'd get.

There is a new Yamaha changer that looks interesting if you are into SACD/Dvd-A and want a changer.

4. SteveNixon

SteveNixon Extra

Thanks for the feedback guys...

If upconversion isnt a big deal on the Mits, I think I would avoid the 975...Would the Yamaha model be the DVDC750?

btw, sorry about Oklahoma last night.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I wouldn't necessarily avoid it because it has upconversion. The 480P output is what you are most concerned with. All reports seem to indicate its very good for that.

6. SteveNixon

SteveNixon Extra

I went with a Denon 2900. Now a real newbie question, should/can I pipe the video through my AVR (Yamaha c940) or directly into the TV? No DVI output on the DVD so I am going to be component regardless.

feel free to correct me if I am wrong...and I probably am. [​IMG]

7. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Steve,

I would connect the 2900 straight to the TV if that option is available. I'm not totally familiar with that receiver so I don't know how it's video conversion capabilities are.

Oh and very nice choice on the DVD player! I will be picking up my factory sealed 2200 tomorrow [​IMG]

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Try the Sony 975 via 480p HDMI -- you won't be disappointed.