DVD Player for in-laws (CHEAP)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Frank, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Mark Frank

Mark Frank Stunt Coordinator

Looking for a cheap (< $125) DVD player for the in-laws for a birthday present.

Don't need anything fancy, just one disc and RCA connections. Just want something that's has a decent picture and won't break in 2 months.

Thanks in advance!

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

On that budget, you might be stretching it. I think about the only things available are from manufacturers like Sampo or Apex. If you can go a bit higher, you might be able to find a Panasonic RV-31 or similar. Perhaps an open box unit would suit your needs. Anything from Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, Panasonic and the like are good, and they all have sub $200 players now.

3. karthik

karthik Auditioning

I believe Toshiba SD-2800 is available for $120 in Costco. Seems to have all the features for a basic DVD player including mp3 playback. Can anyone currently using this player give their opinion?

4. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Daewoo 5700 from Sam's Club. $99. Best player for the price (and quite a bit higher) that you'll find.

5. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The Magnavox Budget players are pretty safe bets as well.

7. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I saw the Toshiba SD2800 at Costco.com, in the store they have a model called the K-6xx which has the exact same specs as the SD2800. I bought the in-store model just to try it out and so far it's great. It plays DVD-R which is why I got it. I may order the SD2800 just to compare side by side with the one I bought in the store.

On the subject of Costco, does anyone know what their return policy is? It seems to be very open and liberal but I can't find any good info on it.