What's new

DVD player for HDTV Capable TV (1 Viewer)

ChrisWG

Agent
Real Name
Chris Weeg
Hello all, I need a DVD player to hook up to my Onkyo HTs570 and Sylvania HDTV Capable TV. Not looking to spend more than $300. What would yall suggest? Thanks everyone!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Do you have HDTV over cable or satellite? If not, then you might consider the LG model that has an OTA hdtv tuner and up-scaling dvd player built-in. I think it's the 3510

joseph westcott

Second Unit
If you have DVI connection on your TV, I too suggest the older Oppo OPDV971H.

If you have an HDMI connection, I would go with the Panasonic 97 or 77 with HDMI.

DVI and HDMI are not created equal and as video processors come out with higher and higher bit depths, HDMI will give you that extra bandwidth to avoid contouring artifacts on most digital displays.

DVI supports up to 8 bit RGB signals, HDMI supports up to 12 bit RGB.

And if your using component connections, definately avoid the Oppo as it only supports 480i via component (what a shame). I would get the Panasonic, if this is the case.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you could stretch your budget a bit, there is the Denon 1920 at $350, though with the new models announced, I'd expect you'll very soon be able to find these guys at a discount. Some places are discounting them already to make room for the new models.

joseph westcott

Second Unit

Great point, John! I myself am very excited about the new Denon's with the HQV chipset. They should sell for around $1500. This is a bargain if you compare it to the price of a Denon 5900 with the same chipset. This would be the last DVD player I would ever want or need for SD.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Seeing that the t.v. does not have HDMI or DVI and it's an EDtv, anything that will convert via component will work for you. However, I'm not sure how it works with an EDtv.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
What about the Panasonic DVD-S52? Progressive-Scan DVD Player with Multi-Format Playback, High Definition (1080i/720p) Up-Conversion, and HDMI Output for $100?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Considering that the TV is question is an ED display:
and doesn't look to have either dvi or hdmi, a player with good 480p component connections is all that's really needed.

The "hdtv capable" is just confusing marketing talk.

ChrisWG

Agent
Real Name
Chris Weeg

Yeah I looked at the back and there were no HDMI or DVI connections. What would you suggest for the 480p player?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks