DVD Player for Grandparents

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Xander H, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Xander H

Xander H Agent

Hey all, the DVD player my Grandparents had just crapped out and I'm looking for a new one. Trying to find the best single-disc DVD player I can find for about $100 bucks.

They don't have an HD-TV, and their receiver is an old Harman/Kardon so they couldn't really handle one anyway.

Just need something solid that will work for them without crapping out in 6 months. Anyone using a player now that sounds like it would fit? Or seen any out there that would work?

Thanks for the help!

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Harman/Kardon has a player in that price range I believe.

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Generally been partial to Sony and Panasonic DVD players with Pioneer a close 3rd. I don't think Denon has anything in that price range. I haven't had good luck with Toshiba or Philips products or cheapie no-name (APex, Cyberhome, or even Samsung).

Sony 55 or 75 can be had for less than 3 digits.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Xander: make SURE to check out the player's remote!

Not to stereotype older folks, but I didn't need a course in ergonomics to know that many of them will have problems using the many remotes out there with tiny/crappily labeled buttons all bunched together. And as far as just using the remote, for me Samsung's drive me nuts: their buttons for navigating a dvd are labeled differently than just about every other manufacturers' remote (why, I don't know).