DVD player for Europe

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray Turner, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Ray Turner

Ray Turner Auditioning

I have a German exchange student for the school year. In June, her parents plan a 3 week visit to see the USA [actually Texas, but is there more to see:>))] THAT'S A JOKE FOLKS.

Her father is interested in a DVD player as they must not be big there yet. I know there are Region problems and PAL/NTRC{?} differences. Are there units sold in the USA that allows playing these differences and are still reasonable.

Your help is appreciated

Ray Turner

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ray, multi-region players are not nearly as common in the US as they are in Europe. I believe Pioneer makes a model or two. Check www.jandr.com for more info. Of course, there is a voltage difference to consider here as well. Here in the US, our components are made for 110-volt mains, while in Europe, the mains are 220 volts. So, if your German visitors were to buy a DVD player here, they would need to buy a voltage converter. They are available, but it is something to consider. I am sure DVD players are available in Germany. Are they not proximal to a large city in Germany? Is mail-order an option in Germany? What I am getting at is that I feel they should look further into options closer to home.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's a matter of cost. A DVD player is probably 25-30% cheaper in the states (if the multi-region player prices I've seen are any indication). Inform him that it will only work out of the box with US titles, and that he'd need an adapter, as well as a multistandard TV to use it at home.

4. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Or they could get a Malata N996, which is region-free and works with RCE titles flawlessly, converts PAL to NTSC and NTSC to PAL, and has an auto-switching power-supply - 110 and 220, 50 or 60 hz (I asked AVDeals this, and they tested and confirmed it). As a bonus, you get progressive scan (including PAL progressive) and image scaling. Not bad for around $300!