DVD Player for ~$160

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nate Nelson, May 12, 2002.

1. Nate Nelson

Nate Nelson Stunt Coordinator

I keep getting stuck on what to get, so I figured I'd just list what I want in a dvd-player and you guys would be able to help me out on my decidion.

I don't need:

[*]DD/DTS decoder (my reciever will do all this for me)[*]Progressive scan[*]nice remote (I'm just gonna program my recievers remote to do it all so I don't care if the remote sucks or not)

What I do want:

[*]plays many formats (CDR, CDRW, VCD, SVCD would be nice as well but not a must)[*]quick loading times[*]doubles as a decent CD-Player[*]Price to be ~$160 no more than $180

Here is my system so you guys can get an idea of what might be overkill or not:

Klipsch Quintets x4

Klipsch SC-1 center

SVS 25-31pci

Pioneer D509s reciever

older 27" GE T.V. w/svideo

I hear a lot about panasonic and toshiba. There is a panasonic RP56 on ebay goin' for about $150 + shipping right now....good deal? I dunno [​IMG] I know I don't need progressive scan which it has but it sounds like a nice price. I'm just confused at this point. Thanks for any replies.

2. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Nate,

The Toshiba 2800 is also pretty cheap these days (lists at about $129, I think) and is considered a good, basic player.

3. Nate Nelson

Thanks. I was looking into Toshiba but at the same time heard it had real slow load times. I'll definitly keep it in mind though... I'm just curious what all you guys would suggest cause you seem to know your shit [​IMG]

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

the new JVC 300/500 players are lightning fast with regards to load times, menu accessing, and layer changes. they also play cd/mp3/cd-r/cd-rw/vcd/svcd etc. $129 for the 300 and $179 for the 500 (the 500 is prog scan and adds a few other bells/whistles)

5. Nate Nelson

hmm, those JVC's look nice. Thanks matt!

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Best Buy's Sundays ad has all players priced at $179 or higher on sale for 10% off.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I have a Tosh 2800 in the bedroom system. Works great for such a little player. Quite happy with it--though the drive motor is a tad noisy.
    Your next upgrade after getting the DVD player will be to replace that GE television. [​IMG]

8. Nate Nelson

Jack Briggs - It ain't that bad at all really. A neighbor was throwing it out and I took it to H.H. Greg to find out what was wrong with it (wouldn't stay on). Turned out the power supply was goin' out. They replaced it for $100 so now I have a 27" T.V. with s-video for $100 [​IMG] It was probably top of the line ~10 years ago whenever it was bought (those neighbors never bought cheap stuff) [​IMG] My only complaint is it has "ghosting" which kinda gets annoying. My next upgrade will most likely be my surrounds and then I'll get a nice T.V. when I move out [​IMG]
    http://hipnotictranz.homestead.com/f...m/etsystem.jpg
    BTW, dont' mind the finger-prints. This pic was taken before a lock was finally put on my door to keep my lil-brother out [​IMG]
    I think I'm going to stop by Best Buy today and pick up that JVC 300. It seems to have everything I want spec wise. I thought about getting the 500 model but by the time I get an HDTV to take advantage of it, I'm sure there will be better DVD Players out.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Nate, help us older folk out by enlarging your font[​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. Nate Nelson

There ya go, I just put it back to default [​IMG]
    I picked up the JVC 300 from BB for $135. I like it so far but the quality seems to be worse than when I ran it out from my computer (via my DVD-ROM & Radeon). It's nice to finally watch these movies in true dolby-digital, though [​IMG]
    Got around to watching the intro to TPM with the THX and all. Blew me away [​IMG] The sound was all around when its raining and then WHAM the thunder hits, it was great [​IMG]

11. Matt DeVillier

Nate,

if the quality is worse than the Radeon's S-Video output, then something is not set up properly. Did you recalibrate your set with Avia/VE after hooking up the JVC? What kind of TV do you have, and how is the JVC connected to it?

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks Nate. Give us some details on your rig and maybe we can offer up some calibration tips.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

13. Nate Nelson

I don't have any calibration DVD's nor a rat-shack meter--I really need to invest in these! I'm using an older 27" GE with s-video/composite/hi-fi. It was probably a bad-ass T.V. in its day.

I have my Player hooked up to my T.V. with s-video and I have a coax cable going to my reciever for audio. Dunno what else physically that would need to be set up?

I tried setting up my PC again and one thing I've noticed is that I must have never really looked at the T.V. as hard when I ran it through my computer because the quality seems to be the same (though I never noticed how "grainy" Saving Private Ryan looks). I still have a problem with SPR, however. The player likes to pause at 1hr 33min for some reason (just pauses for a second) and I've only noticed it with SPR.

Also, it doesn't like to play in Wide-Screen. It has the two black bars at the bottom but they aren't as thick as traditional wide-screen bars are--it just seems "zoomed" in. Maybe SPR is just like this? I can't recall.

Things I do like is that it is small, light, you can dim the brightness of the display (I love this!), and it has very speedy loading times. I also like the fact that it fades in/out when you stop/resume a DVD.

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

15. Matt DeVillier

Nate,

the pause at 1:33 is the layer change. You never noticed it before because it's a lot less noticible on a PC since there is more RAM available to use as a buffer.

Ron,

the current gen JVC players have top notch interlaced output. I compared it to my old panny RA60 (which has the same video internals as the RP-56 sans the sage deinterlacing chip) and they were nearly identical after calibration. Also, the problem with the previous generation JVCs stemmed from artifacts that occurred because the player converted from I->P->I for interlaced output. The newer players do not have any artifacts. Nate's player also isn't progressive, so it's outputting the interlaced video directly. Either way, the current JVCs are definitely not below the current sony/pioneer/panny players for interlaced or (film mode) progressive output.

16. Nate Nelson

Thanks for the replys guys, you're great. Where can I pick up an Avia DVD and is it *really* worth it or can I just use the THX optimization stuff that are on several of my DVD's (Akira & TPM to name two of mine).
    I really want to get a rat-shack meter to find where I should put my bass. I don't know how it should sound so I want to configure it how it's supposed to sound and then configure it how I like
    Sorry for soundin' like such a newbie its just that I've always used my DVD-ROM and outputted it to my T.V. so it was pretty simple. Never experienced layer change 'till now [​IMG]
    Once I get an HDTV there will be better progessive scan DVD-Players most likely, so thats why I bought just a regular DVD player. It'll be fine for now...

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron