What's new

DVD player dillema, wait or buy now (1 Viewer)

BrianChim

Agent
I am installing a complete HT room in the next 1-2 months. I already have most of the components including B&K ref 50, and planning on getting Marantz VPS2 projector. I need a DVD player. So, do I:

1) invest $1000 and get a Sony 999ES, Pioneer elite 47ai (each have the chroma bug) , Denon 3800 (no chroma bug, but freezing problems)
2)get a Panasonic rp82 or rp91 or xp50 (no chroma bug) for $200-400 (questionably inferior to the ones listed above)
3)wait for next quarter players (new Denon, etc) that will hopefully have DVI, and buy cheap player in the mean time

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
It's up to you. Do you have a DVD player now? If so no point in getting another one right away. Better to wait until one comes out that you will be truly happy with.

Do you have a DVDA or SACD player? If you are thinking of adding one or both you could buy an inexpensive player now, in one format and then wait and get a quality one in the other format.

My only real suggestion would be not to spend money on something that you will not be happy with. My other thought is that the future never comes and there will always be something cooler coming out. If you wait too long you miss out on a lot.

HTH

Tom

Tom

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Unless your room/rack/etc configuration is somehow dependent on the DVD player you get, I don't see a need in buying one before you need to use it. As to which one...

Doug

BrianChim

Agent
Thanks.
No need for DVDA or SACD, as this room will be only for playing DVD movies and watching HDTV.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The Panny RP91 is still considered the best all around value when it comes to Progressive Scan dvd players. No chroma bug and it does almost all formats except SACD.

This is one player that could hold you over for quite awhile.

Gregg_M

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

You could wait until your HT is set up. Now as far as the player, I currently have the Denon 3800 and have experienced lockup only on DVD's that were dirty or scratched. Otherwise this has been a fantastic piece of equipment. Also note that it has too be in a well ventilated area because it runs real warm. I would buy this product again.

Gregg

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Brianchim,

I would highly recommend the RP82. It has the wonderful RP91's MPEG Decoder along with the Sage FLI2200 DCDI deinterlacer which the RP91 didn't have which will give you a better picture then even the RP91 in progressive mode. The RP82 will play any format out there(VCD,SVCD,KVCD,MP3,WMA,DVD-A), and it will play all of the recordable disc formats flawlessly(CD-R,CD-RW,DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM). For only $200 it is a steal and since you only need it for HT use only and not for DVD-A etc, it is the perfect choice for you. If your primary use was for any DVD-A material that has to be outputed through the analog outputs, I would recommend the Denon DVD-1600(Same Video Section as RP82 with a few less features then the RP82, Has Burr Brown 24/192 DACs). I love my RP82 since I mainly use it for HT, and when I do listen to DVD-A, I prefer only the DTS 24/96 titles because they have better surround effects and sound a lot crisper then their 24/96 5.1 MLP counterparts. Keep in mind this is MY opinion, but I have heard from others the same thing. Plus if you go the RP82 route, you save lots of money that can go to the DVI player you truly want in the future whenever that will be. ;-)

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Brian,
Are there any Yamaha 2300 universal players in stock in the Houston area?
I only have a few hours before Ultimate closes on xmas eve and I am trying to restrain myself? I don't know what to do either....:frowning:

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
David, there is a lot more to it than that. Not that I know the answer, but there is a lot of speculation on various posts in this forum and AVS. Some folks say it looks like a Panasonic 82 inside? Some do say it partly resembles the Pioneer, but it is not supposed to have the chroma but because it uses the (I can't spell this)Faraquada chip? It is also supposed to have better DAC chips than the 47a. It is supposed to have bass management for SACD and DVD-A and well as time alignment.

I think I'll try to wait and see what others have to say and try to decide between the Yamaha and the Elite 47ai.

Brian, maybe you can buy something decent in the meantime from a shop that will allow you to trade up in 30 days, or more if you're lucky. The Panasonic or a Denon 1600 would be good, like Jason suggested.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Does it really have the Faroudja chip? From the European model, I don't seem to see the DCDi-Faroudja logo on it.

The remote looks suspiciously similar to an older generation Pioneer although pictures of the prototype's gut does look very similar to RP-82.

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Not all manufacturers such as Panasonic will put the Faroudja DCDI logo on their packaging and players. You can only go by internal pics of the mpeg board such was the case on all the Panasonic players. I guess it is to save on royalty fees to Faroudja who knows.

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
The manual states "DCDi Progressive output (USA model)" so I doubt that the Euro version has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks