What's new

DVD player decoding (1 Viewer)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I need some help. I want to know if I have a DVD player with DD and DTS decoders, how do I get it to do the decoding via outputs. Do I have to use the six outputs, or can I use the coaxial or optical. Is the six outputs just for DVD Audio or SACD. I have a receiver(Denon avr1700) w/DD no DTS and w/inputs for future sound upgrading. My question is what is the correct way to connect it to my receiver to get the DVD player to do the decoding?
------------------
The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
If your receiver has an on-board decoder as yours does, youre going to want to use the optical or coax output to utilize the DAC of the denon.
The 6 outputs are for if you want to use your dvd-player's decoder and/or if it has dvd-audio capability.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Charles, the real thing you need to do is get a solid understanding of what each piece can do.
I think that most DVD players aren't DTS decoders (I may be wrong on this) but the pass DTS bitstreams to the equipment with the DTS decoding for it to handle.
Your 5.1 input on your reciever is ment for already decoded audio streams, regardless if it's DVD-A, Dobly Digital, etc.
Coax or Optical are for bitstreams to be passed to the reciver for decoding.
So, in most cases you let the reciever do the decoding from a signal passed to it from the dvd player via coax or tos-link (optical) cables.
In the case of DVD-Audio the player will need to do the decoding and send the 6 channel (5.1) signals to the receiver. Pain in the ass if you ask me, I don't think DVD-A is worth it. DTS is fine for my auido needs.

I wasn't sure if the previous reply's exactly answered your question, so I will take a crack at it. If you want to play a DTS disc from your DVD player you will need to use the analog (six) outputs.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, that's what I figured. I was going to pick up a JVC player that has both decoders, but the salesman said I only needed one cable coaxial or optical. I thought I needed ones for the six analog outs. And I was right, so I came to the forum for the right answer. Thanks again
------------------

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If you want to play a DTS disc from your DVD player you will need to use the analog (six) outputs.
Incorrect. The dts bitstream will only pass through an optical cable or digital coax. The 6 channel analogue outputs will not carry the dts bitstream.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
What dvd player actually had a dts decoder? Like I stated before the ones I've had experience with (Tosh 3109, 4109x, 4700; Apex 600A; Panasonic RP-56) only "PASS" a dts bit stream to an external decoder.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, now let me get this right. I can use the digital outputs(coaxial or optical) to get DVD player to pass the
the signals and do the decoding? Which brings me to my initial question. The reason why I ask is because I thought I saw somewhere I seen that mentioned. What do I need to connect to my receiver to make the DVD player do the decoding.
I'm going to get a new Receiver next year when I have the money. For now this will be a cheaper upgrade for now. I'm going to get the JVC XV-SA7GD/70B. It has DTS decoding built-in, for I don't have DTS in my receiver. Until I save money, but time the summer comes around I plan to get a new Yamaha or Denon. This makes the most sense and be cheaper for me, instead of pounding my brain just to get DTS.
------------------

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Charles,
Right: the digital output of the SA70B can provide DD, DTS and PCM (CD) output bitstreams. Its 6 channel analog output will provide decoded DD, DTS, DVD-A and PCM analog audio.
Since your receiver doesn't have a DTS decoder, you need that feature in the player, which this one seems to provide.
Unfortunatley, the description on JVC's web page is rather limited http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...L026743&page=2
but Crutchfield's is more detailed http://www.crutchfield.com/S-939Fwgj...p?I=257XVSA75G
------------------
Selden

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Charles, the dvd player info helped. To answer the simple question of how to connect it... use the 6 outputs sub, center, front LR and rear LR to the 6 channel input to the receiver (cool that your receiver has that).
Just to note... this configuration is the ONLY way to get the DVD-Audio output to play correctly on any system. There is no encoded bitstream path (digital coax or optical) for the DVD-A. So when you get your new reciever you may have to re-think this whole connection setup. =(

Incorrect. The dts bitstream will only pass through an optical cable or digital coax. The 6 channel analogue outputs will not carry the dts bitstream.
Well yes, but he does not want to pass the dts bitstream because the receiver does not have a decoder. Since the dvd player that he mentions does, he will need to decode in the dvd player and pass pass through the analog outputs.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Now I think I got it. Use the six analog outs and connect to the receivers analog inputs to get the DTS decoding accomplished? I would use a coaxial or optical cable only if my receiver had DTS built into it, right? Which I have now because my receiver already has DD.
Thanks for the help guys and clearing up a few issues for me. Helpfully by tomorrow I'll have up and running.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks