DVD player crossover vs. reciever crossover??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick-G, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Nick-G

Nick-G Agent

I am soon getting a Sony DVP-NC685V DVD/CD changer and have read on this forum that it has adjustable speaker settings that allows you to change the crossover freq. My question is, what impact will the settings on my reciever have on the signal coming from the dvd player? If the crossover on the dvd player is at, say 100hz and the (non-adjustable) crossover on my reciever is at 120hz (I really don't know what it is at) does that mean that frequencies from 100-120 will be cut out entirely? If the dvd player thinks they're going to the main speakers and then the reciever cuts them out, do they still get sent to the sub or what? Kind of a noob question I realize, but I'm pretty uneducated about how this works!! Any help would be appreciated.

-Nick

2. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Nick,

either use the crossover in the dvd player or in the receiver, dont use both. if the receiver's crossover can't be defeated (im sure it can), then set all the dvd players crossovers to large and let the receiver handle the bass management.

Craig

3. Nick-G

Nick-G Agent

I can set the speakers to "large" in the reciever. Does the DvD player's bass management work through digital connections or only analog? Thanks for answering my stupid questions!

4. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I think the DVD bass mgmt. affects the analog outputs only

5. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I think John is right there..

Craig