What's new

DVD Player Coxial Out or Optical Out (1 Viewer)

I just bought the Onkyo SP-800 and it has the stnadard optical out and coxial out. What should I connect to my integra receiver since it accepts both? What is better in quality or is there a difference?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I've used both and not heard any difference. A comparison in Home Theater Magazine ("Bits are Bits?") found several coaxial cables to sound identical, but there was some variation with one of the optical cables. This was never fully explained.

So I prefer coaxial because:

- It's usually cheaper (it's just a video cable)
- It's more robust (the thin optical cable looks wimpy compared to all the other interconnects)

Hope this helps.

Oh one last question.. I have read I think on this forum that sacd doesnt work thru optical? Is that right how does it work then?

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
SACD doesn't work for optical or coaxial. It requires that you connect analog cables from you player to the receiver for all channels. Note that some receivers do not have this input capability. For 5.1 surround you need 6 cables!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks