DVD Player connection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Mays, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

What is the best way to connect to a HDTV (Projection)for both sound and picture.

I have been under the impression that component video was the best and that digital cable was the best audio. What about fiber optic? Does that hold true for cd players as well?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well you HAVE to use component video cables to carry any HD or Progressive video to the display. Yes, it will take other types of video connections, but then you are sending ordinary NTSC video (that has not changed since the 1940's) and the device will up-convert/line-double the signal. (Think of looking at newsprint under a magnifying glass -ugh).

DIGITAL AUDIO:

If you have a choice, go with the coaxial-digital connection for the audio from any source. The cable tends to be cheaper (it's a video cable), and less prone to damage.

There are lots of posts discussing this so do a search if you want to dive into it.

HOW TO WIRE:

The next typical question is: "Should I connect straight to the TV or go through the receiver?"

Start by going straight to the projector/display from any HD or Progressive source. This is cheaper because you only need 2 sets of component cables. You should only run the video video through the receiver if:

- You have more than 1 source
    - You dont have enough inputs on the TV for everything to go direct
    - Your receiver is rated for HD video signals.

But: going direct to the TV/projector has a cost: more complex switching. Hook it up and you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

3. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Thanks Bob! I have it connected just that way. Today I saw the optical connections at a store which caused me to question again.