DVD player cleaners...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nate Anderson, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I'm in the market for a cleaner. I have never used one before, but figured tonight I probably should. Is one kind better than the others, or are they all pretty much the same?
    I figured you guys would be the best ones to ask...
    ------------------
    "This is my verse, hello?"
    My Extensive DVD collection.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this and someone will "straighten me out", but I used to be in the retail biz (computer software & video game consoles, like Playstation), and I got to try out a lot of different CD and CD-ROM cleaner kits. For both the discs and the players.
    They are all the same to me. The super-expensive ones did no better a job than the el cheapos.
    I use any old CD/CD-ROM cleaning kit on my DVD's and DVD player. I have over 900 discs and the same player for over 2 years. No problems yet.
    People are gonna reply and tell you to save even that much money and use various do-it-yourself items on the discs, at least. To me, it's worth the small money to get a kit and save the hassle. The kits last a looooong time!
    If I need a fresh one I pick it up cheaply whereever I happen to be: Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Sam Goody, etc.
    Good luck.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    ..... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ .....
    [Edited last by David Lambert on November 16, 2001 at 05:00 AM]

3. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Suggestions....yup...don't use one. Unless you live in a really dusty environment and you are noticing consistant problems and it's off warranty and the moon is in alignment with the earth, I would still say get a pro to clean it.
    For the love of Pete, don't use a head cleaning disc with the little brush on play side. You can sratch the lens...I should know 'cuz that's what I did. (Fortunately it was under warranty to my only loss was the player while it was getting fixed) Most DVD lenses are plastic and not glass like CD and CDRoms, they scratch easily.

4. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Thanks for the tips guys...I appreciate the input, and it gives me something to think about.
    I think one of those head cleaning ones killed my friends player...I won't touch 'em with a ten foot pole!
    ------------------
    "This is my verse, hello?"
    My Extensive DVD collection.