DVD player chaos

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MikeUp, Sep 29, 2005.

1. MikeUp

MikeUp Agent

I'm just getting started in the HT game and a new DVD player will be one of my first purchases (after a good receiver, of course). I'm planning to buy an HDTV at some point, but that won't be until early next year. Because I'm buying the TV second, I can't anticipate how the DVD player will interact with it. For instance, I've read about problems with a particular generation of Faroudja chip and certain displays.

So I'm looking for the best DVD player that meets an odd set of criteria:

Support for DVD-A, SACD, DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW
    DD and DTS
    DVI or HDMI output
    Less than $250
    No FLI23xx chip (Or is that really so important? I'm not sure I understand this issue.)

Does anything meet my needs? Every time I run across one that might (Panasonic S77S, Oppo 971H, etc), it uses the FLI23xx chip and I'm not sure if this is a deal-breaker.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What will you be displaying it on? If you aren't using a fairly large screen, I wouldn't worry too much about macroblocking.

Less than $250 and universal hires is going to limit your selection. You might consider used or expanding your budget to $300-350 and pick up the Denon 1920 or the Panny S97.

3. MikeUp

MikeUp Agent

I won't be buying a TV over 42". Not feasible in my Brooklyn apartment.

But it's all moot for now. I've decided to wait on the DVD player until after the TV is purchased, no matter how long that may take.

Now on to the receiver question! But that's a separate topic...

Speaking of which, can somone direct me to a thread with receiver recommendations? Something in the $400-500 range. Just in case there's been a recent conversation about it.