DVD player carousel skipping

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenny Goldin, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Occasionally my DVD player (Denon DVM-3700 5 disc) will be playing a disc, and sudddenly it will stop and move to the next disc. I have seen it happen anywhere from 8 minutes into a disc to about an hour in. It was happening pretty often a few months ago, seemingly went away, and has now reared its ugly head again. I have had it into the shop but they guy said nothing was wrong with it. Apparently he didn't take it apart or even play movies on it, he said he played audio CDs on it all day and it never skipped (first of all, I never listen to CDs on it and secondly, the problem could be DVD-related).

It is a very annoying problem, it takes away from the enjoyment of the movie as I am just sitting there wondering if it is gonna mess up again...

This sounds like a mechanical problem to me. BUT, do you think it could just be dusty or a dirty lens?

2. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Could be the laser dying. If the player is about 3-4 years old, and has been used a lot, then this may be the case.

3. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Are there any other tell-tale signs of a laser going bad?

4. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Not recognizing discs that it used to. At some point, it will just stop working, and tell you there is no disc when there is one.