DVD Player capable of DVD-A and SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aslam Imran, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Is there a DVD player under $500 that can play both DVD-A and SACD and also have progressive output? If not whats the minimum I have to shell out in order to get one?

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Pioneer makes the 47A, which lists for $1200 I believe (but can be found for much less). I also believe Apex makes, or is introducing, a universal player for about $300 (although given their history, one wonders how good it will be).

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

The Apex was reviewed by Sound & Vision last month, and it got a TERRIBLE review in terms of sound quality. If the Pioneer is outside your monetary range, you're probably best going with a DVD Audio/Video player and a seperate SACD player. That would be under $500.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

There are rumoured to be players in the works from Onkyo, Yamaha, Kenwood and others that might have better performance than Apex, and potentially street in the US$500 price range.
    I have not verified this yet, so consider it to be speculation. Treat it as such [​IMG]
    Regards,

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John said:

6. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I guess it's time hasn't come yet. Personally, I think I'll hold out until there's a combo DVD-A/SACD/DVD player which has great bass management. Maybe a year wait? By then, prices should be more reasonable and sound quality up... Not to mention more software to choose from.

Martin.

7. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

I think I am going to wait too before jumping on the SACD/DVD-A bandwagon. By that time the prices would also have come down.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Does anyone who owns SACD and DVD/DVD-A players actually stick with only one set of multichannel interconnects to his pre/pro and thus swap them between each source player? I was thinking of doing this if I end up liking both formats and find the 47A lacking (and assuming I like multichannel music, which I have yet to try). I don't have a lot of time on my hands, so listening to multiple discs in a given listening session / day is a rarity. I don't like the thought of an 18 cable + switch box(es) solution.

Thanks.

Doug

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug, if you do go with separate DVD-Audio and SACD players and don't want to go with A/V switch boxes, you might want to get cable extenders that will plug into the 5.1-channel inputs on your pre/pro or receiver. These extenders have inputs for RCA cables. With extenders, you don't have to worry about continually removing and inserting RCA cables into the back of your pre/pro or receiver, which could eventually damage an input (depending on how tight your cables fit). Also, the extenders might be easier to reach than the back of your pre/pro or receiver. If you go with Radio Shack Gold Series extenders or extenders from another reputable manufacturer, you will probably observe no signal degradation.

I realize that running 18 RCA cables through the A/V switch boxes is a bit daunting, but the switch boxes are cheap (two Radio Shack 15-1952 boxes are $30), convenient, and have a small footprint. Finally, I hear no signal degradation with them. I wouldn't write the switch boxes off completely.

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

11. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Keith,

I think both of your points (extenders, 18 cables + switch boxes) boil down to cost and quality issues. If one spends in the neighborhood of $30-$40 per cable for 0.5m length, I guess it's debatable whether extenders would or wouldn't affect quality. I guess it couldn't hurt to try them, as RS is good about returns. I agree this is a good idea if there is no perceived degradation to music. As for the 18 cables+, if one believes that the cost I mention above is worth it vs cheaper cables, then this is not a negligible cost, esp relative to the cost of some players. OTOH, I've been happy with Outlaw's cables (haven't compared to others, so ignorance is bliss), which for a set of 6 come out to $15/cable, shipping included. May not be too bad for 18 of them, but their locking connectors would be a b!tch if I chose the swapping route with 6 cables.

David,

Since my pre/pro supports Analog Passthrough as an option on all my analog inputs (not just the 5.1 inputs), I wouldn't need to swap any cables if I also end up listening to SACD only in 2 ch mode. I would just need 8 cables total.

In any case, I'm just 1 week away from heading to my dealer to hear these formats for the first time! If I like, I can probably bring home a unit for further auditioning.

Thanks.

Doug