DVD PLayer Broken?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Campbell, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

I have been helping my father in law with his system. He bought a new JVC dvd player about six months ago. He was not getting sound to his rear speakers. I tried everything I could think of and it ended up being the dvd player. Wether through a coaxial cord or rca, it does not produce the rear signals (we went out and bought a new receiver as well) I finally brought over my player and hooked it up and it worked fine. We are bringing it back, but what would make that happen?

2. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Sounds to me like you are downmixing to PCM. My Sony 360 gives the option of converting Dolby Digital(DD) to PCM. So a 5.1 audio mix would be mixed down/converted to PCM.
    Maybe the rear outputs are turned off in the player menus, but again if you are trying to use DD make sure it is activated in the player otherwise it will probably downmix to PCM.
    The players are designed like this so that those who use digital preamps w/o DD can still utilize the external decoding for PCM in their preamp and won't damage their system by trying to decode a DD bitstream.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i must be missing something here. [​IMG]
    first, you say it ended up being the dvd player. but then you say you took it to your house and it worked fine.
    so, which is it? i'm not trying to be trite, just trying to figure out your question. [​IMG]
    i'm guessing if the dvd player worked fine at your house (you got all 5 channels) then the issue is in the new receiver your father-in-law got.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.