What's new

DVD Player brands most compatible with recordable formats (+RW, +R DL, -RW, +R)? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Which brands of standalone players have the best compatibility with DVD recordable formats (+r, +rw, -rw, DVD-Rom). My Pan. CP72 manual says it won't play DVD-Rom, but I checked a few of my commercial DVDs and they all have a booktype of DVD-Rom so I don't get why it says it won't play them.

Thanks,
BGC

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
DVD-Rom = computer disc and/or video game and thats why the Panny won't play it. BTW I don't think any player is necessarily BEST. They all play regular DVDs even then some play with less errors than others.

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

That may be what they mean, but changing the booktype setting to DVD-Rom is supposed to make +r/rw media more compatible. Also, the commercial pressed discs that movies come on show up in the disc info tool as DVD-Rom.

BGC

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
"the commercial pressed discs that movies come on show up in the disc info tool as DVD-Rom."

You stated your Panny's specs read it will not play any DVD Rom. Then if thats the case it would not play any commercial DVDs according to your disc info tool. In any case I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure why they show up that way, but they do. I suppose I need one that will play the RW discs + and -. I'll have to do a test to see if the one I have will read a +R with booktype changed.

BGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

Well, I burned a +R DL disc and set the booktype to DVD-Rom and it seems to play properly in the Pan CP72. I don't understand why commercially pressed discs show up as DVD-Rom or if there is an actual DVD-Rom disc that is physically different. Anyway, the discussion of will they or won't they play DVD-Rom is getting circular.

My best bet is to get one that explicitly states it will play +r/rw and -r/rw.

BGC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks