DVD Player battle, which one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blair, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Blair

Blair Auditioning

Mar 11, 2002
    I am trying to choose between 5 players right now based on video and audio quality. I do not listen to music in my home, just movies-so I dont care how well cds sound.

The nominees

1.Panasonic RP56

2.Pioneer DV444

3.Sony DVPNS700F

4.JVC XV-FA90 7 disc changer

5.Denon DVD800

I am upgrading from a 4 yr old panny A110 which is being retired after 4 yrs of faithful srvc to the bedroom.

You can also include the Toshiba 5700, but I am having a hard time finding one in OKC. So please if you choose the Tosh also choose from one of the aforementioned. Thank you!
  2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Jan 29, 2002
    First off, take the JVC changer off the list if you don't need multi-play. You can get everything it has in the JVC 70/75 in single play---same as all of your other choices---for less money.

Now to the choices:

RP56--Highly thought of, Sage/Faroudja, nice adjustability.

Pioneer 444---nice in ways but has problems you can avoid.

Sony 700---Highly thought of as well but has slight issues; but you have to look awfully hard to see.

JVC 70---already recommended. Some claim soft picture but I don't see it.

Denon---I don't know about. I don't like Denon because of their crappy warranty attitudes which border on illegality.

Toshiba 5700---nice, has slight problems but like Sony 700 you have to look hard to see. 4700 would be better if you don't need the extras like HDCD for music. No to the 3750 because it doesn't have the aspect ratio control of the 4700/5700.

Final: RP56 or JVC 70/75(tie), next Sony 700 or Tosh 4700/5700(tie for 2nd)

My $.02
  3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Feb 27, 2001
    Blair with the ammount of money you are now wanting to spend you should seriously consider spending only $46 more plus shipping and get the Panny RP-91.