1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Player Bang for the Buck!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Moss, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Chad Moss

Chad Moss Auditioning

I am just getting started and have gotten some pretty good recommendations from everyone that has responded. But, there is one area that I need to do some more discussion on: DVD Player!

How important is Progressive Scan? I understand that you will see a clearer picture on a HDTV. Is this correct?

Which DVD player do you guys think will be the best bang for the buck for around $250? Are the Sony progressive scans a good deal for around $200?

What else should I look for in a DVD player and is $250 too low to be searching?

Thanks in advance,
    Chad Moss

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone
    First off...what TV do you have? A prog scan player may be useless unless you have an HDTV.

As for prog scan players...everyone one on this board seems to favor the Panasonic RP56 and RP91. I believe newer versions of these models are coming out reletively soon though.

3. Chad Moss

Chad Moss Auditioning

Matt,

The TV will come later, but not much later and it will be HDTV without question. I think that I am very interested in the SONY models but am not locked in yet. Thanks for the advice on the DVD Player. Do you know if Panasonic makes a progressive scan player that handles multiple discs?

Thanks for the advice!

Chad

4. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

chad,
    personally i am pairing a sony hdtv-ready tv (kp-51hw40, 51 inch widescreen) with a sony 5 disk prog scan dvd player (dvp-nc655p).

5. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Progressive scan... popular opinion seems to be that a progressive DVD player will provide a better picture than by using the TV's built-in line-doubler, but not much better.