DVD player audio/video prob

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by RobDdddd, Sep 29, 2004.

1. RobDdddd

RobDdddd Auditioning

I have a slight prob with my DVD player. I've narrowed the probelm down to the DVD player. What happens, is on some DVD's, the audio and video can go out of synch. Like you'll see the actor's muth move, but the words are a second or two off. The only things I can think of that are wrong is maybe my player is in need of a cleaning, as it's going on three years old...or maybe it's the DVD's themselves.
    The DVD's aren't used or old, but of older movies from the 80's, and usually made by smaller companies.
    Any suggestions of what's happening would be appreciated.

The player is Hitachi, amplifier, subs and speakers JVC and TV panasonic, I can get their makes if needed.

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

Sounds like a player problem. Used to happen with my old Pioneer player back in 2000. I could get it to re-sync by pausing and restarting.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This would work better in A/V Sources, but we'll let it remain here.

Rob, first- and second-generation (and some third-generation) DVD players experienced this problem much more widely. Several Sony and Pioneer and Toshiba models of the era were especially prone to letting the A/V tracks fall out of synch.

One possibility is that DVD technology hit the market slightly before it was ready, when there still were bugs to be exterminated. On the software side, DVD authorers still were learning their craft. On the player side, the OEMs were learning how to make their machines read the discs properly (The Matrix disc was a major problem for many players in 1999).

To this day, the A/V track-synch issue still arises, though rarely.

Since your player is three years old, maybe you should give it a thorough cleaning -- something I advocate anyway (always keep players clean and dust-free, and never run them all day long).

4. RobDdddd

RobDdddd Auditioning

all right, thanks guys, I'll get it cleaned like you suggest, and hopefully that'll help a little bit

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

These issues arise like crazy in computers, but pretty much it's a player problem.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

One final note: If this track-synch issue arises while you're watching a film and you still want to see the film completely, a quick fix is to hit pause, then hit stop, and then hit play. The tracks should get back in synch. That's what I used to do on my old Sony 550 (which is now living in distinguished retirement in its original shipping carton). A friend's Toshiba 5900 (one of the first prog-scan machines) works the same way.