DVD Player as CD Player...just as good???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Flink, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

I used to be a two channel audio enthusiast until I "accidently" dicovered home theater when I plugged my stereo VCR into my preamp in 1995. At the time I had an Adcom GCD575 CD player, but replaced it with a DVD player when I moved into digital home theater. I now use a Sony DVP-S7700 for both DVDs and CDs and the Adcom has gone unused for several years now.

My question is whether or not a DVD player has comparable performance playing CDs as a dedicated CD player of similar quality. I realize the answer can be very subjective but value the opinions of those on this forum.

2. ZackS

ZackS Auditioning

The short answer is no. I'll leave the long answer to someone more capable than me of answering it well, but the bottom line is that generally speaking, a $300 DVD player will not play CDs as well as a $300 dedicated CD player.

3. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

Yes. By definition, if it didn't sound as good then it wouldn't be of "similar quality".

Just to clear things up, I don't think there's the slightest diminution in quality playing your CDs on a DVD player, and there are many advantages over and above the fact that you only need one player.

You can play MP3s on a DVD player. You can play CD-RW and CD-R. (If you can't then you bought the wrong DVD player.)

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

5. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I think it really depends on the person. I would say that for 80% of the people, a DVD player will sound just as good playing CD's as a dedicated CD player. But think about it, if the DVD player costs $300 and the CD player costs $300 then surely the audio portion of the DVD player must have lesser quality electronics than the CD player unless the company is throwing in the video portion for FREE [​IMG] .
    Bottom line though is listen for yourself and decide what is best for you. I currently have a Panasonic RP-91 and a Denon DCM-370 (with built-in HDCD). I think that I would have a hard time passing a blind test on these because they sound identical to me (even on HDCD material). After I got the RP-91 and did the test, I moved the Denon to another room where I just do generic listening and now use the RP-91 for all of my critical listening.
    Lin

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

If you have a revealing system and half an ear, you'll realize a dedicated CD player is definately the way to go. I have a Sony SCD-C555ES SACD/CD player which sounds incredible. I recently purchased a Panny RP-91 and gave it a spin with my system playing some CD's. The difference was quite apparent. Decide for yourself. My system hasn't lied too me yet.

7. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

I would say of you are just a very occasional CD listener, then yes use your DVD player. If you are a music lover then by all means grad a decent dedicated CD player. In the used market you cando very well for a few hundred or less..I can clearly hear a diference in my old Panny A110/Pioneer ???/ and now JVC XVS60 DVD players and a used Newcastle CD player..All subjective i guess but i hear it.

8. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

I've just compared a Panny RP-56 with a Marantz CD-5000 through the optical cable connection and there is definitely no match: the Marantz CD-player is clearly superior. But I wasn't surprised at all, for the extraction of data from the CD is so tricky, that only a good dedicated player - or a very good DVD player for that - would do it satisfactorily. I imagine you'll have to pay a few extra bucks to get one.

9. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator

Oh ... I forgot. I just purchased the Marantz 5000 at Etronics.com for $229 + shipping. The product code is CD-5000P (for professional), the only difference with CD-5000 is a rack mount included. As an affordable CD-transport I do recommend the CD-5000.

10. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Terry, there are a few variables to consider here.
    1) Are you simply using your DVD player as a transport?
    IOW, is it connected to your receiver or pre/pro via
    digital connection?
    2) Is your CD player also only being used as a transport?
    If both 1&2 are true then you can compare them on equal
    ground.
    3) Are you connecting your CD player via the Analog Outputs?
    If so,does your receiver or pre/pro support Analog
    Bypass so that the signal is not reprocessed using your
    receivers DAC's. A lot of low priced receivers do not
    have this feature so if your CD players DAC's are better
    the end result is of lesser quality.
    4) You can also connect your DVD player via the Analog
    outputs and compare the sound quality with it
    connected digitally to your receiver or pre/pro.
    Bottom line is that the CD player and DVD player are only part of the equation. You may have a very good receiver or pre/pro with a $300 DVD or CD player. Depending on the quality of the DAC's in all 3, coupled with the receiver or pre/pro's features(IE analog bypass)will dictate the sound eminating through your speakers. Someone can probably explain this in further detail with fewer words. [​IMG]

11. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Well, I think I have at least a half an ear, two whole ears as a matter of fact[​IMG] But my opinion is not a popular one but here goes.
    I have what I consider a revealing system consisting of nht 2.9 towers, parasound 2205 amp, denon 4802 as pre-pro. Panny rp56 dvd player.
    If you are using the dvd/cd player with digital inputs, therefore using your receiever/pre-pro dacs, It has been my experience that there is almost no difference whatsoever.
    I have done an a/b many times with many players used in this way.
    I have two discs that are the same {cranberries} I start one on the dvd player{rp56} at the exact same time as the other disc is started in the cd player{ sony 555es}, Both db out at the same volume. I am able to hit the remote to switch back/forth. NO DIFFERENCE, my son and an audiophile friend also came to this conclusion. I have did this with several different players with the same result. YMMV
    When using the analog outs of each player there is a
    difference in sound, NO DOUBT. but keep in mind that when you try the digital connection versues the analog connections that there is almnost always a db difference between the two, so if you test, please make sure that they db out to the same volume