DVD player advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidAM, Dec 8, 2001.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I'm looking to buy an Xmas gift and narrowed it down to either the JVC XVS40BK or the Panasonic RV31. I know nothing of dvd players so for all you guys that know the in's and out's of these players and how they perform, let me know which one to go with. Also, if you know of a better player in this price range, let me know the brand and model #. I'm gonna use Amex Blue to do a pricematch and right now prices on the net for the JVC are $134 and $148 for the RV31. If you know of a better model around this price, let me know...even from some 2-bit places on the net cause Amex will pricematch it for me. It just has to be new and not a refurb.

2. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Also, what's the chances of either the XVS60BK or RP56 dropping to below $150 after xmas from online places? I have 60 days to pricematch so I'd have till the middle of February to pricematch whatever I buy.

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well the Panny is the way to go here. i dont see the RP56 going that low anytime soon, but try to save up an extra $30-50 and get that one instead. even if you dont have an HDTV now, it'll save you another purchase down the road.

btw- i too have BLUE from AMEX and it is by far the best card ever! it's an essential for all HT'ers-- just go read the benefits! you get an extra year of extended warranty free, buyer's protection, and lots of other great stuff. heh i sound like im from Amex!

good luck!

4. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Ok, that's one vote for Panasonic. Anyone else have experience with these models and have some input? I'll probably stick with the nonprogressive models since my friend has a 61" Mitsu non HDTV that I doubt will be replaced anytime soon (its only a year old) so let me know what you guys think are the pro's and con's of the 40BK vs. the RV31. Thanks!

5. Will C

Will C Auditioning

I don't know what the equivalent model no. in the US is but the Toshiba 210e has been given rave reviews in the UK. It has been seen as having a good picture as well as being reasonable in playing CD's. I know that Costco have been selling it cheap in the UK. Someone may know the equivalent model in the US.

Rgds