DVD Player advice - Panasonic XP30 or...?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steven Larson, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

I have been researching dvd players here, and the consensus seems to be that the Panasonic XP30 is a very good DVD player, and gives an awesome picture. I currently have a year old JVC player, which seems fine, but I just bought a Sony 34" hdtv (KV-34HS510) and want to have an excellent source for my dvd's.

I have found a few xp30's on ebay right now, but would also like to get into dvd-audio and SACD. I have read a few things about some Denon's, but they are much higher priced.

What would be my best option here? I could get the Panasonic, but would then have to add something later on to get SACD and DVD-A. What would you recommend?

Steve

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I too had a JVC player for over a year. I recently added a DVD+-RW drive to my PC and wanted to store movies and TV shows on DVD+RW. The JVC was able to play -R/+R but not -RW/+RW discs, so I looked for a model that could play all types. I ended up getting a used XP30 on EBAY and it definetly blew away the JVC quality-wise especially for video-based material. The XP30 has a great frequency response giving a much sharper picture over the JVC. I never used the DVD-Audio capability of the JVC model I had, so I went for the XP30 and saved some money. If you want DVD-audio with the same top-rated video quality, look for an RP82 or the XP50. I see some of those on EBAY too.

3. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Don.

Do you know if the RP82 or XP50 have the "spindle motor problem" that I have read about in these forums? Apparently the XP30 has a newer motor, and does not have the problem.

Thanks!

Steve

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The 82 is the older design and does have the spindle issue. The XP50 ande XP30 are the same design and seem to be much more reliable.

5. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

i've got an rp82...what's the spindle issue?

6. Don_Berg

Only the older models (RP56,RP62,RP82) had the defective spindle motor design - it typically fails after under a year of use with an H02 error. The newer XP30 and XP50 have a newer spindle motor design with no such reported failures.

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    The relative good news is that *if* your spindle motor fails (RP82), it's easy and fairly cheap to replace it yourself. It's the electronic guts that are the stars in these machines.

Note that the 62 is not even close to the 30/50/82/56/72/91, so don't go for it if you're looking for the "good stuff".

Anyway, I've had an 82 for almost 2 years and no problem, but the spindle motor has been IMO suspect since day one. Sure Panny has not the most reliable spindle motors, in general, but check out all the repairs many other major name-brand and MUCH more expensive players have after only a few months...things that are not so obvious and are much harder to fix, and their video isn't as good as the Pannies to start with.

8. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

that's interesting...well, so far so good on my rp82 and its coming up on a year. is this issue covered under warranty? i would've figured that there would be massive uproar if people's dvd player's were dropping like fly's after a year...

this is the first i've read about it, not that that means much; but with the amount i frequent boards and forums, i would think the discussion would crop up more often. hmmm...

9. Don_Berg

Yes its covered by the warranty, but I think there is only 90days labor covered and the failure is after that time.