What's new

DVD player advice needed (1 Viewer)

Jim Swantko

Agent
I am using my old Sony DVP-S500D and it's starting to flake out on me. So I'm looking to replace it.

Here's my situation. I currently use a Marantz CD-63SE as a transport and let my Lexicon MC-1 do all the D/A which I am very happy with.

I let the Lexicon process the digital out of the DVD player as well.

So with that being said - what would be the best DVD player in the $500 range? I'm not sure how important SACD is to me - as my plain jane CD63 sounds great to me.

I don't mind older used equipment and have considered an older Elite or high end Sony S9000 I think.

All opinions are welcome!

Thanks
Jim

Jim Swantko

Agent
Honestly I'm not sure - I am using component cables now... is there a noticable differece with DVI? My DLP set accepts them.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The reason I ask is that the Oppo 971H, which I have, has an impressive reputation over DVI, although its component outs are only fair. It also has quirks, among them lip sync issues, although your Lexicon can probably be adjusted to account for this. It does not handle SACD, although it will decode DVD-Audio.

A little community of Oppo owners has gathered here.

Jim Swantko

Agent
Jeremy - the Oppo certainly looks interesting. It still seems a littl buggy for my tastes... but the price sure is alluring.

Thanks for the link - I'll have to do some more research!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks