What's new

DVD player acts weird in certain proximities (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
First, let me describe my home theater configuration:

I have a 5-shelf open-air Billy Bags metal rack system.
Top shelf = CD player
2nd shelf = DVD player
3rd shelf = preamp/pro
4th (bottom) shelf = amp
* All are connected to a Monster Home Theater Powercenter.

I just got a new DVD player and after connecting everything, it was acting up. The remote would work then not work. The weirdest thing is that it would not power off! It would turn back on by itself!

I removed the player and connected it somewhere else in the house and it and the remote worked fine! It turned off and stayed off.

So I tried other outlets in my house, getting closer to the system with each try. It worked directly in all outlets up to the 2nd to the closest outlet to my system.

I then assumed it might be an outlet problem. So I tried an unused outlet in the same panel as my system and it didn't work! I reset the Powercenter and turned it off for an extended period of time. The DVD player still acted cuckoo!

I even kept the Powercenter off and unplugged it from the outlet but the player still acted up (in either outlet jack my system uses)!

Then I connected the player to that 2nd to the closest outlet but leaving it in my rack. It didn't work! WEIRD!

So I put it on the floor in front of the rack but still plugged into the further outlet and it works!!!

This leads me to believe that it's something to do with the electical field in the area since there are so many cables.

Can someone give me some advice on what else I can do to troubleshoot or how to get rid of these "EMF"s (sorry, I'm not good with Science and Electricity/EMF/etc.)?

Thanks so much!

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Man, this is just too weird. My wife and I found out that ... my old Mitsubishi laserdisc player's remote was the culprit! Well, we're not 100% sure but we tried every trick in the book to see what was causing it. Just waving the remote around the area turned it on. After removing the batteries, we waved around the area and the player didn't turn on (and it stayed off!). Unreal...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks