DVD Player: "1" Disc vs. "5" Disc ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Beski, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Tom Beski

Tom Beski Agent

I am in the market for a new Progressive Scan DVD player in the $150-$300 range (currently looking at the Panny CP67K & 72K or the Sony equivalents)

My question is the Pros/Cons of getting a "5" disc changer vs. a "Single Tray" unit. I realize the benefits of being able to loan in 5 DVD's at once or to change 4 while 1 is still playing....but are there quality issues with the large carousel tray on a 5 disc changer that I should consider?

Is the tray weaker or more prone to break due to it's size??

Is there more chance to have problems with the laser optics?? (I have heard there is better stability on the laser in a single tray unit but not sure if this is true?)

Also, Is anybody currently using the Panny DVDCP67K ?? What do you think about it??

Thanks in advance....

Tom

2. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

I've had 5 disc changers for years. Have an older Sony 5 Disc CD changer that is still kicking strong, and my old Pioneer 5 Disc DVD Changer (DV-C503)is still working great. I don't really feel that a single disc player is more durable or reliable than a changer. In my opinion, its a matter of build quality of the unit. A cheaply built single disc player is just as likely to have problems as a cheaply built changer. In my opinion if you buy a quality DVD changer, you would get the same reliability as the same brands equivalent single disc player. I personally will never go back to a single disc player, a changer is just too convienient. But of course this is my opinion, and I'm sure others feel differently.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tom, I have used carousel CD and DVD changers for years and have found the carousel design to be robust. Don't concern yourself with reliability issues. Single-disc players can break down just as can carousel changers.

The 'CP67 has not been discussed here too much. Many folks here have spent a little more to get the 'CP72, which offers DVD-Audio. You might want to take a look at the 'CP72. Best Buy and Circuit City sell it. In addition, see www.crutchfield.com for more information.

4. Tom Beski

Tom Beski Agent

Hey guys, Thanks for your help.....

Yes, I do agree that the CP72 is a better unit then the CP67 but I am having trouble finding the CP72 in BLACK !!

I actually have "3" orders in for a CP72 at 3 different stores and they are all on "Backorder" I just found a store in New York City that does have "3" CP72's left in stock, but they warned me that Panasonic may NOT offer their standard 90 day warranties if I buy from them...Does this sound right??

NOTE: Many Web-Sites show the CP72 as "IN-STOCK" but when you actually inquire to place the order, they say they're OUT.

Any other leads to find a DVD CP72K in Black would be appreciated. I WOULD LIKE TO FIND ONE ASAP....SO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME AT: [email protected]

Thanks again,
    Tom

5. Han

Han Second Unit

Speed. Depending on which changer, I often think I can walk up to the single-disc player, put in a different DVD and have it start up faster than a changer can skip to the next DVD in its tray.

6. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

I'm happy with the 5 disk changer (Sony 650 and 660) units I have and will never go back to a single.

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I had an HK FL8---something CD player, and the carousel went kaplooey soon after the warranty expired. I swore I'd never get one again, but here I am with a Sony C555ES changer (the best SACD player I could reasonably afford).

All things being equal, I'd choose a single-tray player. Otherwise, I don't think durability issues should play too great a factor (fingers-crossed!).

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tom, it sounds like the dealer you spoke to in New York City is not an authorized Panasonic dealer. However, I am surprised by their honesty. In any event, I'd stick with authorized dealers.

Is a silver 'CP72 absolutely out of the question? I think black components get boring after awhile.

9. Tom Beski

Tom Beski Agent

OK...I guess I have given up on the CP72K in Black....

So here are my two remaining choices....

Panny CP67K (5-Disc)

-OR-

Panny RP62 (Single Tray)

Please let me know your opinions on these two models.

Thanks again,
    Tom

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

audioreview.com is a good place to check out other users comments.

I agree with Rich though, I would always default to a single disc player. One less thing to break, and for right or for wrong, I just have a better "impression" of quality from single disc players than "changers". (Goes back to vinyl for me.) And before KeithH says that, yeah OK, but Sony has made some very fine SACD multi-disc players too, I'll say it 1st. [​IMG]

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

For me, beyond convenience, is that carousel players eliminate my tendency to "temporary" swap out one disc and "store it carefully" on the floor next to the player with the intention to put it back in later.

12. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I too really wanted a CP72 in BLACK, not tinfoil, thank you. The only place I could find one was through Crutchfield, which had some that had been returned, and were thus slightly marked down to boot. I ordered one and couldn't be happier. It's black, and it works just fine. They may still have them. I also highly recommend Crutchfield strictly in terms of their service and shipping. They double boxed my player, with styrofoam peanuts. I bought A CP50 from J&R which was packed poorly, and it arrived damaged (that could have been UPS' fault too though, I don't know.)

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tom, frankly, I would go with features over color. O.K., the 'CP72 only seems to be available in silver right now, but it offers a lot of bang for the buck. Before going for a lesser player in black, do consider features. DVD-Audio and the 'CP72 video section should not be overlooked.

14. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

I got both the rp82 and the cp72 and they are very similiar witht the rp82 having a SLIGHTLY better pq if you are absolutely anal. For me though i just can't really use the single disc i am way to lazy,hell even the 5 disc is not enough. The less i have to get up and switch discs the better. Plus its much easier when calibrating with VE and Avia then immediately jumping to demo material.

15. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

I'll offer my two cents. I have a CP72, and I find it a pain in the ass for my viewing habits.

Normally, I'll watch a DVD at night, and turn the player off (without ejecting the disc) when the movie is done and go to bed. The next night, when I turn on the player, I have to wait for the player to "load" the disc before I can eject it. This loading process can sometimes take quite a while, depending on what is on the DVD. With my old Toshiba dual tray, I could just push the eject and the DVD would come out with no wait.

Regards,
    John Flegert

16. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

John,

I agree the usability of the 72 sucks. Its slow,loud,and i HATE that the disc change only does like 3 discs meaning if you are on disc 1 and you want to take it out you have to switch to another disc or it will not allow you to. Also once in a while mine will totally lock up which requires me to unplug it and plug it back in which is a pain. However,the pq is excellent which is well documented so like everything a little trade-off is expected.

17. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

If you use the disc exchange button on the unit it stops which ever disc is playing and ejects it.

18. Tom Beski

Tom Beski Agent

Hey, I just checked my post again and....Wow...thanks to everybody for all the replies!!

Well, after much research, I decided to go for the best Picture Quality and Features (over my obsession to get a black unit) at a reasonable price...and Friday I ordered the DVD-CP72S in Silver from Crutchfield...I saw the unit on display at a local Circuit City store and with the "Mirror" front, there is actually less silver than I have seen on other units. I hope when the mirror finish reflects off my other Black Components and Entertainment Center it will blend in with it's surroundings...you know, like a Chameleon !!

Plus, it seems like a great deal to me:

Crutchfield Sale Price $229.00
    Less Master-card Discount @ Crutchfield $ 20.00
    Less Panny Rebate Offer $ 30.00
    Less Panny Blockbuster 5 Rentals(Ends 2/28) $ 25.00
    NET PRICE $154.00

So for $154.00 I couldn't resist DVD-Audio and what should be a good Progressive Scan with Recommended Chips and sharp PQ....

Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday...

Thanks again,
    Tom

19. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

Craig W,

Thanks for the info! For those of you with a one-for-all remote the advanced code is 030.