What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

DVD playback question (1 Viewer)

Ivy Mike

Agent
Real Name
Jordan
Hey all, was curious about dvd playback performance on PC's. Which hardware components have the greatest influence on playback, specifically when using zplayer (or MPC) + ffdshow. I sometimes have issues with video playback that is not entirely smooth like say WinDVD is (but of course WinDVD doesn't have the same level of image quality I can get through zplayer and ffdshow). Would a video card upgrade be more beneficial, or is this cpu related. Maybe even my drive is weak? Here's my computer's stats for reference:

Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz
ATI X800 XT 256MB
Sony DVD-RW DRU-810A
2x512 DDR2 PC2 4300 Ram
Creative X-Fi sound card

I'm basically wondering in general, which hardware is going to have the greatest influence on DVD video playback. Thanks for any help.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You can use ffdshow with TheaterTek, which never stumbled or froze when I had a 2.2 Cel system. Now that I have a Core2Duo6600, I can put all the ffdshow bells and whistles on it.

Try opening task manager and see if your setup is pinning the processor. Try playing with just zplayer and no ffdshow filters and see if it skips then. If either is yes, I'd say you need a faster processor or pull back on some of the ffdshow settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ouruslife
Recent bookmarks