DVD Playback on Hitatchi 53" Widescreen Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Nag, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Ed Nag

Ed Nag Auditioning

I just purchased a Hitachi 53" widescreen model, but when I watch a DVD in normal 4:3 original aspect ratio or full 16:9 original aspect ratio, I still see black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. They are not as wide as on a 4:3 regular TV (letterbox), but they are still there. This is so even with a widescreen DVD like Harry Potter. I thought that the picture would fill up the screen like in a movie theater. The salesman at CC said it all depended on the
    formatting of the movie; the techie at Hitachi didn't know what I was talking about, but ultimately concluded that there was no problem with the set. Regular cable TV fills the whole screen if I use Fill 4:3 zoom (although the heads are too stretched) or smooth wide 4:3 expander which stretched out the sides. Thanks for any help.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If the movie aspect ratio as recordedon the DVD isnot exactly 4:3 or 16:9there willstill be black bars. This is normal.
    Due to overscan, 1.85:1 movies not pan and scanned slightly to 1.77:1 may appear as filling a 16:9 (1.77:1) screen although in realith there are thin black bars.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Ed;

A lot of movies are filmed with aspect ratios wider than a 16:9 TV. In other words, the shape of the screen is wider than even your widescreen set. Because of this films with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 such as Harry Potter will still exhibit the black bars.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Ed,
    This is common.
    The shape of your TV is 16x9. If you attempt to play any material that isn't 16x9 (either wider or narrower), without stretching or cutting off parts, there will have to be unused area (black bars).
    For example, to properly display 4:3 TV programming- there would be black bars to the right and left, this is just unused space because the program shape is different than your TV's shape. Some TVs offer a stretch mode which unnaturally elongates the 4:3 picture to the width of your set-- however without stretching it, the picture would be less wide than your set (resulting in unused picture on the sides).
    The same is true for Movies with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. These films are wider than your 16x9 set, so you will still need small bars of unused space at the top and bottom in order to properly present the width of the material.
    So, again- not all programming will be the same shape as your set. A widescreen set is a nice compromise between the TV aspect and the 2 popular film aspect ratios-- but if you actually want to see the entire picture of material that is a different shape than your set- you'll have some unused area.
    You might want to check some of the examples in this excellent tutorial:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...hic/index.html
    And also consider reading through the FAQ and Primer link in my sig- it might give you some basic info that will help you...