What's new

DVD Picture Question (1 Viewer)

VictorJDeP

Grip
I have heard many definitions for the following question, but I would DIE for a definitive answer...

What is the difference between 3:2 pulldown and 4:4:4 pulldown?

And why do some players, mostly higher end, say 2:3 pulldown?

I do somewhat know what 3:2 compensation is, and why players have it, but I do not know the differences.

Thanks for any and all info.

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
4:4:4 isn't a pulldown format. It is a high-end (usually studio use) component video format where the Y, Cb and Cr components are sampled equally. DVD viedo uses 4:2:0 component (see dvd-makers.com for a better definition).

There is no difference between 3:2 pulldown and 2:3 pulldown. When people say 3:2 pulldown they ALMOST always mean 2:3 pulldown (You COULD do true 3:2 pulldown but that would be unusual). Check out most of the explanations of 3:2 pulldown (i.e. http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/pulldown.asp). Notice that the pattern of frames shown in the drawing goes 2:3:2:3:2 ... not 3:2:3:2 ...

VictorJDeP

Grip
Thanks for the info. I finally noticed when a company mentions 4:4:4 it "processing" not "pulldown." I think I subconciously substituted pulldown all the time.

It's strange to me companies like Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer will spec out "3:2 Pulldown" in their lower models, yet start referring to it as "2:3 Pulldown" in their higher models. Smells like marketing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks