DVD Picture Question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by VictorJDeP, Oct 31, 2003.

1. VictorJDeP

VictorJDeP Extra

I have heard many definitions for the following question, but I would DIE for a definitive answer...

What is the difference between 3:2 pulldown and 4:4:4 pulldown?

And why do some players, mostly higher end, say 2:3 pulldown?

I do somewhat know what 3:2 compensation is, and why players have it, but I do not know the differences.

Thanks for any and all info.

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

4:4:4 isn't a pulldown format. It is a high-end (usually studio use) component video format where the Y, Cb and Cr components are sampled equally. DVD viedo uses 4:2:0 component (see dvd-makers.com for a better definition).

There is no difference between 3:2 pulldown and 2:3 pulldown. When people say 3:2 pulldown they ALMOST always mean 2:3 pulldown (You COULD do true 3:2 pulldown but that would be unusual). Check out most of the explanations of 3:2 pulldown (i.e. http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/pulldown.asp). Notice that the pattern of frames shown in the drawing goes 2:3:2:3:2 ... not 3:2:3:2 ...

3. VictorJDeP

VictorJDeP Extra

Thanks for the info. I finally noticed when a company mentions 4:4:4 it "processing" not "pulldown." I think I subconciously substituted pulldown all the time.

It's strange to me companies like Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer will spec out "3:2 Pulldown" in their lower models, yet start referring to it as "2:3 Pulldown" in their higher models. Smells like marketing to me.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor