What's new

DVD paused while watching?? (1 Viewer)

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Last week I watched Pearl Harbour on DVD and the darn thing paused briefly twice while watching it and last night I watched the U2 Elevation DVD (excellent DVD by the way)and it paused once.I have the Toshiba 2700 player and H/K receiver and Rotel amps.Can anyone suggest why this has happened??

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
When it paused.......did it start playing again on it's own or did you have to physically restart it?? If it started again on it's own, my guess would be that it was a layer change. But the the fact that it did it twice would probably rule out that possibility.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
When it paused it was very brief,say,within a second and then started playing again.

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Yep....my guess was that it was a layer change then. They are more noticable on some DVD players than other. Also....some DVDs put layer changes in real obvious spots because the length of the film doesn't offer much leeway to put a layer change during a scene change. If it does it in the same place everytime you play it......my bet is that's all it is and you shouldn't worry about your equipment being faulty. There is also the obvious possibility that there may be a bit of dust on the DVD and needs a quick cleaning.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Scott.I'm told that some players handle the change better than other players.I'm also told that some players have a built-in buffer that scans a second or two in front of the disc while it plays to check for the layer change and when it detects it,it will smoothen it out.If this is so,on my next player I'll have to check this out.

On a side note,I noticed that you are stationed in Japan,How do you like it?I'm told by people that have went there that it is beautiful although very expensive.

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Japan is ok but I can't wait to get back to the states. It's not all that expensive since we live on base housing and we get extra allowences to compensate for the cost of living. Yen rate is pretty high right now. It's actually a great place to make some money. On the flip side......it sucks for a home theater fan. No satellite (not american anyway) and no HDTV broadcasts, no Vivo or Replay TV service. This is why I've yet to get an HDTV. I do have the money saved though and as soon as I get to DC in June I've already picked the HDTV, new DVD player with progressive scan, and new satellite dish (since the one I have in storage back in the states is over 5 years old.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Even without HDTV or prog. scan that's one killer HT you have there, Scott!

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks