What's new

DVD parent's guide rant (1 Viewer)

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
This is the parent's guide on the back of the box for Black Hawk Down at Roger's Video (Canada)

Sex/Nudity: a minor sexual comment, a quick glance of a poster with a scantily clad woman
Drugs/Alcohol: smoking
Violence/Scariness: lots of graphic war violence (fatal gunplay, explosions, vehicle accidents, etc.)
Objectionable Words: approx. 65

Rated 18A

So, a parent is going to look at this movie, know that it's about war, see that it has lots of bad language and graphic violence, and say, "gee, this sounds great for the kids. No wait. There's a poster of a scantily clad woman! We can't let the kids watch this!"

Someone actually sat through this film, took note of that poster and deemed it neccessary to write it down. This is pushing ratings warnings to the brink of insanity. It was a woman in a bikini on the wall for about five seconds. I've seen more skin on The Brady Bunch. It wasn't a real woman, or even a nude woman in the poster. I just don't get it.

There's no mention of spewing blood or severed hands. For the movie Woman On Top they wrote: a woman's naked stomach!

I think I'll take the DVD back and thank them for warning me about the poster so I could avert my eyes!

LennyP

Supporting Actor
That's nothing compared to that crazed Christian review site where they accuse The Two Towers of gay propaganda and rate even the most "innocent" of movies as if it's a spawn of the devil.
It's very funny to read, especially that Cruel Intentions review. Next time I see it pop up on the forums I'll bookmark, but maybe someone can post the URL for you.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Next time I see it pop up on the forums I'll bookmark, but maybe someone can post the URL for you.
Please don't. We have a strict rule against discussions of religion, and your post is right at the edge. Let's leave the subject where it is.

M.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The site kids-in-mind.com gives this warning about CHICKEN RUN:

A beak-to-beak kiss between a chicken and a rooster.

:D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have no problem with extreme graphic violence, but my kids will not being seeing suggestive eye movements under any circumstances!

/sarcasm off

Brad Nilsson

Agent
As a parent of three young children, I thankful for all the information I can get in evaluating whether a film is appropriate for the kids.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Brad, the point is that sites the the CAPAlert use flawed methodology, and harp on the most insignifigant points. The very fact they walk out of films DQs them from any validity IMO. Had they stayed to the end of Dogma, they would have seen the parts that validate the very system they claim to base their movie morality on (OK, except the chauvanistic parts, and the fact that it's about Catholosism). Therefore, I wouldn't put stock in their opinions no matter what

Brad Nilsson

Agent
When it comes to kids, parent's have different standards. I don't accept any review site's methodology -- but I do appreciate the information. I then make my own judgment. I wouldn't get bent out of shape by a girl in a bikini, but someone else might. Most "PG-13" moves, because of sex, violence, or langauge, I do find inappropriate for my kids.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't fault anyone for carefully screening media content before allowing his children to access it. In fact, I applaud the effort--if only more people would take the care!

The humor from sites like CAPAlert comes from their worries about films "raping scripture". Their disgust at any interpretation or idea different from their own is really a joke. It's an entirely different animal from checking films for sexual or violent content.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
When CAPalert reviewed the original Star Wars they warned parents about Princess Leia having too much "breast bounce" in her running scenes. That's pretty much all you need to know about that site.

Coming Soon: CAPalert Approved sports bras (made of brass) :)

-Lyle J.P.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
CapAlert has provided me with countless hours of entertainment for two years now.

Terrible to see the apparent financial troubles the guy is in now. If I had mountains of disposable cash, I'd throw a few G's his way just to keep me in stiches for another couple of years.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Brad,

You might want to try kids-in-mind.com. They give an objective listing of sex, violence, offensive content, in a given film without all the "fire and brimstone" of the religious sites.

Brad Nilsson

Agent
Thank you for the suggestions. I am already familiar with those sites. They are very helpful and I recommend them to others. "PG-13" movies are the most difficult for me as a parent. Some are relatively innocuous. Others will burn your eyelashes off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks