DVD Panel discussion at VSDA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Jul 18, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.videobusiness.com/article...6&catType=NEWS
    "It's getting more and more accelerated in terms of when things have to be done," said Charles de Lauzirika, the DVD producer whom filmmaker Ridley Scott has chosen to represent films such as Alien, Blade Runner, the upcoming Black Hawk Down and several others on the format.
    great article to read
    [​IMG]

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

That panel discussion was really great. I was sitting there listening to these people talk about their work wondering why the place wasn't jammed full of people. Sure, it was at 9 am, but geez...how often are you going to find 4 people with the caliber of those guys in a room talking about what they do? Not very often.

They also talked about piracy (Prior said to keep the DVD prices down to avoid it) and the widescreen vs. pan and scan debate. Minkoff said he has composed shots knowing they'll be butchered in the panned version. He HATES it.

Lots of people at the show missed out.

Gord

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Gord
    You wouldn't have a transcript with you would you ?
    [​IMG]

4. Gord Lacey

No, sorry. I was too busy listening/watching them that I didn't even take any notes. I don't think they even taped the event.

Gord

5. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Mr. de Lauzirika is a member of the forum (and posts semi-frequently in the Software section); I'm sure he'll notice a thread with his name in the subject [​IMG] Perhaps he has access to a transcribe available online.

6. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

I've been refraining from posting in this thread not because my name is misspelled in the subject header [​IMG] , but because this thread refers to a PANEL discussion at VSDA that also included David Naylor, David Prior and director Rob Minkoff. Could a friendly HTF moderator please rectify the situation?
    I don't have access to a transcript from the panel. Although it was certainly a fun discussion that covered a lot of ground, it was mostly old ground that got covered, so you're not really missing anything. And as Gord pointed out, it wasn't a packed house, so the audience Q&A segment wasn't very in-depth. But considering that it wasn't just 9 a.m. -- but 9 a.m. in LAS VEGAS -- I can't really blame anyone for wanting to sleep in. I know I sure as hell wanted to!

7. Gord Lacey

Charlie, I went to bed early so I could get up at 7:30 to eat breakfast with the DVDAngle guys (GREAT bunch of guys) and then come listen to you all speak about DVDs.
    Now with that Fox party the night before, it was a different wakeup time on Thursday [​IMG]
    Gord

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Charles

you'r right ofcourse :b :b :b

Thanks for responding anyway

Oscar

9. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    The reason that it wasn't filled up was because it was only open to people with red badges, who paid hundreds of dollars to attend the event. I would have attended, but I had a general admission. I did go to a different DVD panel with Peter Staddon where they previewed the Reservoir Dogs and Monsters Inc DVDs.