DVD Packaging, Why isn't there just one official kind?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Kalon, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

When DVD was first developed, why didn't the different companies decide on one 'official' kind of case?

It seems that right now most people prefer the plastic keep-cases.

If this was first decided upon by all companies that keep cases would be the only official cases for all DVD's released then we wouldn't have to put up with some of worst ideas in packaging. No Warner snappers, No Jewel Cases, No Jewel Cases slipped in an outer paper sleeve, No cases where the DVD is kept on a plastic holder attached to a paper sleeve, No paper sleeves at all.

Keep cases will most likely out last these paper sleeve or snappers even in the best cared for situations.

For instance it seems that most people dislike the Pearl Harbor Vista Series packaging, especially in regards to how the discs are stored, wouldn't two keep cases ( one for the 2 discs of the movie, then another for the 2 discs of extras). Unless there is a 4-disc Keep case available.

I know some of you will say that the movie is the important thing. And I totally agree, but the package is also an important part. In the long term does anybody think that any of the paper sleeve cases will outlast the plastic keep cases?

And I don't think I am being a nit-pick. After spending quite a bit so far on DVD's, I want everything that I bought to last and that includes the packaging.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    can't say I disagree (with Damin), but one has to wonder why record companies selling CDs have all settled on one standard jewel case, with the odd exceptional box-set coming in slightly different packaging, whereas movie studios don't seem to have standardised anywhere near as much.

or perhaps it's because movie studios are, at the moment, trying a bit harder to differentiate their relatively new product (DVDs are, after all, only 5 years old) whereas the record companies are more blase about it, seeing as their format is 20+ years old?

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Without the option to sell their wares in any manner they see fit, I wouldn't have the cool aluminum slipcase that T2 came in, or the wooden box of "The Wicker Man," or the Book of the Dead case used for "The Evil Dead." Or the classy linen-covered case of "Lawrence of Arabia."

Uniformity can be pretty boring. Not to mention, what if the "official" case chosen and forced upon movie studios happened to be a case you didn't like?

6. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

7. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    You can get the keepcase sized covert art and inserts/liners for many snapper movies. One site with a lot of them is http://www.dvdcoverart.com.
    While the special cases I am leaving as is, I am converting all of my snappers to keep cases since they aren't special.

8. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

One thing I would like is for DVDs in "special packaging" to have a keepcase option. For example, how hard would it have been to put "Evil Dead II" into a keepcase then put it in the tin box. Same goes for "Wicker Man". I don't even want to mention the silly "Mars Can" for "Total Recall".

9. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

Didn't Warner in Australia quit using snapper cases and even go so far as to offer customers with snapper cases free inserts for keepcases? I couldn't imagine anything like that happening here in America. They could have it so that you mail the proof of purchase and get a free insert sent to you. That way you'd have to wreck your snappper case to prove that you really wanted the keepcase insert[​IMG]

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

When DVD was first released, Columbia was offering jewel cases and keepcases as an option, I chose jewel cases. Warner's snappers weren't available widely for months, and I hated those from the start. Polygram came out with the Scratch-O-Matic sliding tray design, which upped the lousy casing ante bigtime. That eventually got replaced, but it has been a mishmash ever since.

I took a look at the Pearl Harbour set yesterday, which I was going to buy sight unseen until I saw the cheap cardboard packaging. I passed. I haven't bought a Warner title in months, nor do I own any of Fox's paper covered titles. Universal's Ultimate sets are a joke - the poorest design since the S-O-M case, it won't even stay shut. I have bought 1 of these, even though some of the other films interested me.

11. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

While I can see someone not liking the Pearl Harbor packaging because of fears over long term durability it comes across as anything but cheap. In fact of all the features I find the packaging my favorite. The packaging isn't different overseas is it? Otherwise I can not possibly understand someone who feels it looks cheap as more care must have gone into this than any other release with the exception perhaps of the book of the dead for Evil Dead.

12. Eric Fisher

Eric Fisher Stunt Coordinator

I wish they'd just dump the snappers...

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

15. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

A consumer should expect the most for their dollar, and the quality and durability of the packaging is part of that. It isn't the primary concern, but one would hope and demand a package that will store the disc as long and as safely as possible, without resorting to replacing or substituting one for another.

Keepcases have done a fantastic job at doing this job. Snappers can do it, but there have been concerns about their durability. Of course, this is in comparison to how much use and abuse it gets.

Box sets and special cases are a case by case basis. Some are lousy, such as the X-Files TV sets (I have the use of one hand and using that slipcase design is a pain), some are fantastic, like the Akira Tin - despite the lack of a title on a spine for shelf storage.

To each his own, but I don't think it's out of line to expect better or be excited about unique styles of presentation.

-g

16. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

Disney got the WORST case. When my ordered Mulan DVD came, the disc was bouncing inside the case. And I knew the disc was scratched to death. [​IMG]
    Then I have my Little Mermaid DVD that came not long ago. I've put in my drawer, with others DVD. I have NEVER opened the plastic wrap or touched the DVD since I received it. But, I just took it out today to rearrange the stuffs and noticed that the disc is BOUNCING like hell inside. I am just too scared to open it and see the disc in piece. Do you know that Little Mermaid DVD unopened worth 50$US?? MAN!!!!! I hate it!
    Some case pops the disc out with a fly standing over the button, while others takes a hammer to get the disc out. The case I love most as of now, is Fight Club's. It's easy to take out, and put in. I love it. And it's slim.

17. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

18. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Re:Universal's T2:UE -
    For those of you who have the aluminum outer 'case'(really isn't a case at all-I have to squeeze it together when handling;otherwise, the keepercase slips out!)-do you find that it damages other near-by keepercases? Seems like no matter where I arrange it, I manage to put some minor scratches on the ones next to it.[​IMG]
    I've almost decided just to pitch the aluminum in File 13[​IMG]

19. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    any thoughts on the plastic nonsense that HBO gave us for Sex & The City, which is similar to Universal's Ultimate Editions?

I recently got my S&TC Season 1 back from a friend, after it had been doing a few rounds on loan. to my horror it had "fallen apart", i.e. the plastic had given way at the seams and was broken (snapped?). my friend blithely said that it was to be expected, since it wasn't very durable.

whilst I recognise that it was possible, I didn't think it would happen so soon. the last time it was in my possession, it was slightly "cracked" at one seam already, but I didn't expect the thing to fall completely apart! Season 2 (also making the rounds at the same time) was, in contrast, relatively "unhurt". has anyone else had the same experience, i.e. broken plastic cases for S&TC or Universal UEs?

I am now extremely loathe to lend out Season 3, since I really don't want to break the package as well. or for that matter lending S1 or S2 to anyone else from now on. I guess I am quite careful when opening the package, e.g. never forcing it to lay flat to get at the discs thereby straining the "seams", but others may not be as careful. perhaps I should transfer the discs into plastic keepcases and keep the nice package at home instead...

20. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Special cases are nice, but the baboon ass tin for Total Recall was ridiculous. I got rid of that as soon as I got a replacement case from AOL.